online phots look different...less contrast

hi,

i don't have a fancy calibrating device for my monitor, and before i reformatted my HD last week, i had no

problems. now though, when i post an image online, it doen't nearly have as much contrast as when i look at it on

my home computer.

my workflow is shoot RAW (srgb), convert in ACR (srgb), edit in photoshop and save as small jpeg to upload.

again, every photo i had done before the reformat looked like it would online.

my monitor is an lcd, and i tried using the nvidea monitor calibrations software. the gamma doesn't have a

number, just a slider.

thanks for any help...

For those interested in accurate color, calling an external calibrating device "fancy" is just plain ignorant. Monitors WILL

change their color settings, and the only way to correctly deal with that is by periodic and faithful calibration of the display.

If you want a color conscious browser then get Safari.

If you're shooting sRBG, why do find it necessary to convert to sRGB in ACR, since the image is already in that color

space?

calling someone ignorant when they are joking isn't productive, or necessary.

the default setting in ACR is adobe rbg. and why would it matter how my monitor is calibrated anyway? the internet protocol is srgb, and that's how my images are shot and worked on. how would the gamma (where i suspect the problem lies) of my monitor differ from one place to another?

and color space doesn't really apply to me anyway. i am color blind. it's the overall contrast that is the problem.

I do have a calibrated monitor and even on the same computer, they look different on the web. Usually the color isn't as bright when posted here, and the other day I had some scans of B&W images that were beautiful in PS, saved, reopened in PS, and posted on a forum. They were much more contrasty after being posted. One thing I haven't tried yet it to see if FireFox (my regular browser) renders images differently than IE.

i have a mac, a calibrated monitor, work my image in srgb and posted them in srgb, firefox, safari and opera, photoshop and ligthroom ALL show me the exact same images everywhere!

must be because i have a mac ; P

or a good calibrated workflow maybe?

And calling a colorimeter a fancy device is kind of ingnorance..or a joke depending of the point of view : )

If you're using Firefox 1 or 2, then it should look exactly like IE. If you're using Firefox 3 and haven't twiddled the configuration, then it too should look exactly like IE. If you're using Firefox 3 and have enabled Color Management, then it should look like it does it other color managed applications like PS.

<p>

To enable color management in Firefox 3:

<ol>

<li>Enter "about:config" in the location bar. Promise to be careful.</li>

<li>Enter "gfx" in the Filter bar.</li>

<li>Double-click "gfx.color_management.enabled" to change its value to True.</li>

<li>Restart Firefox.</li>

</ol>

Like Patrick, I run calibrated Macs, and I don't have these issues.

Many people call things fancy that they consider to be unnecessary or only used by elitists, or as a way to justify not

having something. In my near 70 years, I've seen plenty of people do that. There's no crime in not having a calibration

device, but please don't insult my intelligence by calling them fancy.

If you're using Firefox 1 or 2, then it should look exactly like IE. If you're using Firefox 3 and haven't twiddled the configuration, then it too should look exactly like IE. If you're using Firefox 3 and have enabled Color Management, then it should look like it does it other color managed applications like PS.

To enable color management in Firefox 3:

1. Enter "about:config" in the location bar. Promise to be careful.

2. Enter "gfx" in the Filter bar.

3. Double-click "gfx.color_management.enabled" to change its value to True.

4. Restart Firefox.

thanks! that was it. i had been running an older version of firefox. gee, now i won't have to go out and buy a mac....but i'm not shocked that mac users would think that would be a solution :)

oh, and i won't need a fancy calibrator doo dad either!

I think the original problem is using the Nvidia's "calibration" software. This should best be avoided. It alters videocard LUTs without creating an accurate description of the output.

Using color managed browsers would make the images look the same as in Photoshop on yor computer but you have no idea how they would look to other people, even if they use color managed browsers.