Online Course vs Self Teaching through Books

<p>Hi Guys,<br>

I am hoping you guys can help me out. I have been shooting on and off for the past 6 years. I have taken many photography classes at one of my local: The College of Southern Nevada (located in Las Vegas). However, I am now trying to grow a business and further my education. I have found a bunch of websites offering classes and some even offering "degrees". What are your opinions on classes and have / are any of the helpful? </p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Morgan</p>

<p>Only my personal opinion. Nothing more.</p>

<p>I don't have a warm fuzzy about the online photography schools. I have met a few people who are unhappy with them. I am a huge fan of apprenticeship and self training. You have the wonderful opportunity to learn from working professionals if you are careful. Set your sights high. If you want to do weddings, then set out to learn from the very best. You can do this as a second shooter or just volunteer if necessary until you work your way up. Since you have taken courses and been practicing for 6 years you probably have a good grasp of the basics so you would be an asset to them.</p>

<p>There is a wealth of information on the web for example. I can't imagine that any online school can top the wonderful instruction on Strobist for example. The web is filled with great tutorials. </p>

<p>You are in Las Vegas and get tons of traveling seminars and workshops. For very little money you can get a day of great instruction.</p>

<p>The most important thing is that you practice and get critiques. If you don't have someone there who is qualified to critique your work try posting it here. Then if you learn a mistake, go our and reshoot until you have it right. </p>

<p>I like rodeo photography both professionally and for fun. You will not learn this in an online university. You need to go do it and learn from the professionals who do. They can teach you more in an afternoon than you can learn in a year of online study. Many other types of photography are just like that. Drive your friends crazy making them pose for you. Ask to stand behind a good portrait photographer, ask questions and then go practice on your friends. </p>

<p>The real caution is that you have to be determined, honest with yourself and outgoing to make this happen. The value of an online course is that is forces you to stay on topic to some extent. But you are looking here and have already done a lot. That is a good sign. </p>

<p> </p>