Onelight DVD - Looking for copy to buy

ellie_m

<p>I was also interested, but after watching the trailer I was not nearly impressed enough to drop that kind of cash on a DVD. And while it seems the images are pretty good, I'd also argue the lighting is easily reverse engineered. Basically I think the same information is available for free on the internet. Or, if you really want DVDs, I'd be more inclined to spend half the money for more material on the DVDs from strobist.com.</p>

<p>I've seen both the Strobist and OneLight discs (thank heavens for friends with $$$!), and I quite like them both. The Strobist DVD is brilliant, it's insanely thorough and covers (in my opinion) some good real-world examples. I also dig the fact that he uses a D70s for most (or maybe all, I can't remember at the moment) of the scenarios... it was my first DSLR and for some bizarre reason I still have a small soft spot for it. Go electronic shutter go!!</p>

<p>The OneLight DVD is good, but I found (again, in my opinion) that I enjoyed it more for inspiration. The instructional bits are the same on all the single light/strobist/budget lighting websites and DVD's because the theory doesn't change... but I like to see what each individual's approach to teaching/demonstrating is. </p>

<p>David Hobby is a little on the geeky side (not a bad thing!) and the theory part of his presentation can get a bit dry, especially if you have already scoured strobist.com. Zach tries to keep things more "hip and cool", and doesn't go into as much depth. His shooting examples are interesting though, and I certainly found them useful.</p>

<p>In terms of value, I'd completely agree with Thomas in that the Strobist DVD is way more bang for buck.</p>

<p>Cheers!</p>

<p>Well, if you can afford it in the first place... get both the Strobist and One light.</p>

<p>One consideration is this; how much would you pay for a half day lighting seminar?</p>

<p>If you value the perspective of other shooters, you may find it a relatively inexpensive way to get educated on the subject. Probably faster than T&E.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for the recommendations.<br>

I can't afford the OneLight DVD right now. Oi! I was thinking about telling people to go in together for it for my birthday (or find someone who would lend it to me for cheaper!), but if the Strobist stuff uses the same techniques then I'll go that route instead.<br>

If I go through all the tutes on the Strobist website will that teach me the same thing? Are there any particular ones that seem more helpful. I am flash stupid. I am scared of the dumb things. I am very capable of bouncing them off a white ceiling, but that's about it. I KNOW I need to work on that to make my wedding and portrait work better.</p>

<p>Ellie,</p>

<p>Immerse yourself in using flash. Make it your friend. Try to shoot more with it.</p>

<p>Go read www.planetneil.com as well as all the stuff you can find on strobist. Do searches on each site for your interest level. If you persevere, it will come. Sometimes, the light will just "come on".</p>

<p>If you make time one or two hours per week to force your flash use and make mental notes on your progress. Then test your findings as you shoot portraits or "models" (AKA family/friends).</p>

<p>Best, D.</p>

<p>As for how good they are, I liked the oneLight better the strobbist even thought strobbist has a lot more DVDs. OneLight goes right in and shows everything without uneccesary jargon of advertising if you can call it that. But overall, both are good.</p>

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...