I had a studio shoot this afternoon. I knew I would exhaust my

current supply of Tri-X, so I brought along three other films I

hadn't shot before. I use Tri-X for most of my B&W work, but wanted

to try something new.

After I shot a roll of T-Max 100, then a roll of Delta 100, I loaded

a roll of PanF 50. I took a reading from the strobes - with my flash

meter still set at 100 ISO, and shot the roll at those exposure

settings. When I went to re-load and re-meter, I saw I had forgotten

to change the ISO setting on the meter from 100 to 50.

So my question is this - do I tell my lab to process the PanF 50 at a

one stop push?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but thought I'd throw it out for

other opinions anyway.

Thanks!

It really puzzles me when I see someone using a lab for traditional B&W development. Why not develop yourself?

Ilford does not recommend to underexpose this film, but Kodak actually list development times for PanF up to EI 400. Do you know what developer your lab uses?

Thanks for the responses -

The shoot isn't so vital as to warrant a re-creation of the set up and a test shoot for a push processing "dress-rehersal." It's a grand idea though - I'll have to remember that for the next time I screw up......

As far as noting an increase in contrast from the push processing; well, the lighting was already pretty contrasty for the subject at hand and the desired effect. Plus, I wanted to see how PanF 50 worked, so I don't think this roll will suffice for an accurate rendering. I will probably just grab another roll and run a test shoot. This was, BTW, my first use of any Ilford film.

As to why I'm not doing the processing myself, there's two reasons: first, I simply don't have the time. This particular shoot burned through 10 rolls of film! Secondly, for reasons not worth mentioning here, I don't have and can't have a darkroom set-up in my home. Thus, I have to rent "time" from a local darkroom. I'd much rather spend my rented time printing than tossing a tank about.....

The lab I use is a family owned pro-lab that, more or less, only does B&W processing and printing for the local pro photogs. I'm almost certain they use D-76 for Tri-X and I've been told by others who shoot Tmax that they use Tmax developer for that particular film. I've not asked that particular question, as I've not had any problems with their work before. I don't have a clue what they use for the Ilford films, but I'll find out later this morning....as I said, I've not shot Ilford before yesterday.

Thanks again for the responses -

Best regards -