One photo, per day, for 2009

mike grossman

<p>My photography has been pretty dormant for the past few years, except for snapshots of my children. Three kids under four years old have a tenancy to push personal pursuits aside for a while. Anyhow, now that everyone is sleeping through the night, I feel the need to rediscover what once brought me into photography. I also feel creatively revitalized thanks to a new full format digital SLR body - a 35mm lens will now take a photo with a 35mm perspective. Isn't that nice?!</p>

<p>Anyhow, I am going to try to snap, process and post at least one photograph per day throughout 2009. At least that's the plan. My thought is that I'll be forced to look at more potential subjects and with a finer eye toward composition. I'll take photos of things that I would not have previously considered. I experiment with different lenses and perspectives. I'll rediscover dormant skills. I'll wander around....</p>

<p>I'd appreciate the insights from anyone who has done this before. I might get derailed within the first two weeks. But, if I stick to it, it could be both fun and rewarding. We'll see, eh?</p>

<p>Happy New Years, folks.</p>

<p>- Mike</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Happy New Year ... it seems almost any New Year's resolution will get broken even photography related ones :P<br>

Anyway, I haven't done a daily thing but I more or less did a weekly thing except for the past week and a bit where I been homebound for pretty much the whole time ... only got some lame snow shots around the front and backyard LoL<br>

Good luck with your endeavours tough :)</p>

<p>I don't like making more rules for myself than are absolutely necessary. I think I would set myself a target of photographing a specific subject or two or three without a time limit. Then I have an aim without feeling the inevitable failure when I don't manage t upload an image a day.</p>

<p>I would advise against it, it may just put you off and once you've missed one, it's blown. I pretty much take a picture every day anyway and still use a lot of film so kind of hard to keep track. Just enjoy your full frame, I was dormant for years, then bought a D300, the sold that and got a D3. I enjoyed being back to full frame so much also have bought an old Nikon 35mm (F75D) and also a Mamiya 7II. Small sensors just didn't do it for me. My best compositions come with the Mamiya 7II and now I specifically look for inspiration, then set myself a project. my last project was flash and I decided, white on white! Silly but really loved doing it. Also put my light meter to good use.</p><div>00RxzY-102417584.jpg.a204c292de879733a92ba8a42d7d1b5e.jpg</div>

<p><em><strong>"I'd appreciate the insights from anyone who has done this before." </strong></em><br>

<br>

I think it is to better to set tasks (e.g. a subject) or technical criteria (e.g. using this lens only) and define a time period for results – like a week or a month.<br>

<br>

As an example of Technical Criteria, I recently set myself a task for one month of: "5D + 50mm lens only" (excluding Professional work) - that ended up being so challenging that I kept going for several months.<br>

<br>

As an example of subjects, I have previously suggested "Fire Hydrants", a couple of times: it was purposely an off-the-cuff comment – the more simple the subject often the more difficult it is to get variance, but easy to find difficulties which must be overcome.<br>

<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/beginner-photography-questions-forum/00RETE">http://www.photo.net/beginner-photography-questions-forum/00RETE</a><br>

<br>

So hence, taking up my suggestion:<br>

<br>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=876087">http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=876087</a><br>

<br>

Each had its little challenge . . . IMO, just stipulating a “Photo-a-Day” is not specific enough to make one (me) go out searching / researching with any purpose. <br>

<br>

It is better to have a task set for the next week, and be on the look-out, over the seven days. <br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p > </p>

<p><strong><em>"my last project was flash and I decided, white on white! Silly but really loved doing it."</em></strong><br>

I think "white on white" is an excellent project . . . and I think it will be mine for the next few weeks - However, I will not use any flash.<br>

<br>

Thanks Paul,<br>

<br>

WW<br>

</p>

<p>Thanks for the thoughtful responses. Perhaps it is indeed unrealistic. Not meeting the one photo per day quota might damper whatever creative process currently exists. I like the idea of sticking with a particular subject matter from time to time, or a particular lens. Good points all around...</p>

<p>I think it's better to make 15 pictures per week or so, you just need to take your camera and a lens of your selection and start walking. Sometimes, the best shots are hidden in places in which you look everyday with out noticing that detail.<br>

You may also go to little towns, those places always have a lot to show.<br>

Good luck</p>