One of the best reasons to take pictures

I admit to taking more pictures of rocks and trees than I do people, but its

people that really affect you the most. Take the one below, for instance. It's

of my father, Joe Bourque. He was born in 1919, just in time for the

Depression. He joined the Army Air Corps and served in the Pacific in WWII. He

always loved outdoorsy stuff and did triathlons into his seventies.

He slowed down considerably in his last years and was always okay with sitting

for a portrait. He was an old-school slide rule engineer, and had some

appreciation for mechanical cameras. The one that took the image below was a

Mamiya C33 with a chrome 135mm lens.

If this sounds like a memorial, it is, because he passed away just the other

day. So, take the picture while you can!<div>00PnQe-48515584.jpg.527ecd66fd8202bb6f73f9fee2e72ef2.jpg</div>

Sorry for your loss. I know how it feels. A fine portrait and a fine lesson for us all.

You can tell by his eyes that this guy was on top of his game.

It's also important to make sure our descendants know who these people are as well. Again, my condolences to you and your family.

Kevin, lesson learned. Unfortunately too late for me as I lost my father last February. I only took the occasionally family snap-shots but never ask him to pose for a portrait. Regrets, regrets...

My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

I sat both of my parents together for a portrait in color with a 645 then for Xmas presented a copy to each of my sibilings, an 8x10 with frame. I think I am the only one that has it on display I guess because of how proud I am of the photo. My Mother had a gold necklace on and one link reflected a star with the flash.

Mentioning the WWII, brought back memories for me as he left for that right after my birth and came back when I was 3 years old. Whenever my Mom went to town and spoke with men she knew (small town), I asked her, "Mommy, is that my Daddy", because she kept telling me to be good because my Daddy was coming back.

Lucky for me he passed on the joy of taking pictures, viewing and sharing them.

When he passed away 4 years ago I could not hold back the tears and sobs when they played Taps and rolled up the flag that had been on the casket. The first post and picture brought back those thoughts to me.

Joe

Sorry for your loss.

As a wedding shooter, and a realist. I constantly make young couples include their elder relatives in photos. And I'm sure in a few decades they'll thank me. Unfortunately we all do age, and people do pass on.

That's a great shot to remember your father by. My parents are both deceased, and the great pictures I have of them really help keep their memories alive.

Kevin, sorry for your loss.

That is a great portrait. I wonder what he is reflecting on; life perhaps? It does have a way of going by us too fast. My Dad passed several years ago, and the only portrait I have ever seen of him besides their wedding is an Army portrait in uniform.

A great story, and a great picture. I know I'll never forget it now. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I know I couldn't imagine the world without my dad. We don't always get along, but I still just can't imagine him not being here.

Your dad sounds like he was truly an awesome man. That picture and your story is a great tribute. He just looks like someone who had a lot of stories to tell, and many that I'm sure we could learn from.

Take care, Kevin.

It must have been the summer of 1976 when I was working at Camera Barn in NY for my second summer when I bought a used Mamiya C3 with the 135 chrome lens from the store. The plastic skin was peeling off of the camera but the bellows, lens and waist level finder all worked. I think I must have shot only one roll when I brought it back. Thinking back on it, it was a case of buyer's remorse. It was an excellent portrait set-up. I went back to using my Yashica Mat 124G but I lost a chance to do more medium format work when I had more time for it. Now I have many mediun format cameras but not as much time.

My mother died nearly 14 years ago. I had taken many pictures of her over the years. Eventually I gathered up a bunch of them and made up small albums for my father and brothers. A few days ago I looked through some old photos with my son and there was a nice family shot from the early 1970s which had my mother in it.

Kevin, my condolences to you. A great tribute to a man who appeared to have lived a full and rewarding life.

I would like to also thank you for the wisdom in your post in educating us to freeze as many moments as possible of our loved ones and pass them down to later generations.

With Sympathy - Ralf J.

My father died ten years ago. He loved photography, got me interested in it, but I have no photos of him except some taken by my uncle 40 plus years ago. Strange how you think there will always be time for that later. You have convinced me to get some photos of my mother who is 85.now. Thank you for the wake up call...