One image size for different sized prints?

steenie_d

<p>Hi all-<br /> I am new to the site, and am really enjoying all of the information shared here! I did a search for my image size question, and didn't find quite what I was looking for so here goes:<br>

<br /> I have a Zenfolio website ready to go, and I want to put my clients' images there for them to order directly from the lab. Is there one standard image size that I should (or can) make all the photos so that they can order any size (4x6, 5x7, 8x10 etc.) just from that one image? (I did a "test" order on one of the prints that I have sized at 4x6, and Zenfolio does show what areas will be left out for an 8x10 and 5x7.)<br>

<br /> Or, do I have do resize them all to a specific print size, and have several different individual size selections per image (for example, I would have to upload four different versions of the same image)?<br>

<br /> I hope that makes sense...it sounds very clear in my head, but do let me know if I need to clarify! Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>I was waiting for a more experienced voice to answer, but nobody stepped up. My take:</p>

<p>If you're happy with Zenfolio's suggested cropping ("areas left out") for the print sizes different than your uploaded image, the remaining issue is whether there are enough pixels remaining to ensure good image quality. The number of pixels needed depends on viewing distance and the subject matter of the print, but a guideline would be 200 dpi minimum for typical images, and 300 or more dpi for finely detailed images or those intended to be viewed up close.</p>

<p>If you're very particular about image quality and composition/cropping, you'll have to provide separate image files for each print size and aspect ratio. I realize that involves much more work.</p>