One book

<p>Hello everyone reading this,<br>

I've been into photography for quite some times now. I own a DSLR, and many vintages films camera (peel apart, instant and films)<br>

My problem right now is that I want to improve my art because I have no technique. I have sold two shots but I want to learn how to be a better photographer.<br>

I have looked at online photography school. The New York institute of photography and the Photography Institute. I am still looking at the many options both schools can give, but I have read that I could just buy a book and learn that way.<br>

What book, if any, could teach me all that an online school such as NYIP and PI can teach?<br>

(The reason why I am looking at online schools and not a real physical school is because I am sick (auto immune disease) and online is just better for me right now)<br>

Thank you</p>

<p>That book would be <strong>Photography,</strong> 10th Edition, by Barbara London/Upton, available at Amazon. To round your education out, get <strong>Light: Science & Magic</strong> by Hunter/Biver/Fuqua, which will soon be out in it's Fourth Edition and you may also want to add <strong>Understanding Exposure</strong> by Peterson.</p><p>There are plenty of other books I could recommend on photographic subjects but none cover the full spectrum of photography the way these three do. </p><p>Some recommended reading:<br></p><p><strong>Spirit of Place</strong>, Kris</p><p><strong>Visual Poetry</strong>, Orwig</p><p><strong>Within the Frame</strong>, Duchemin</p><p>Enjoy!</p><p>Al<br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p>

<p>What separates the books that Al mentioned from other books is that they are actually instructional, you can carry them around with you as how-to manuals as you upgrade your skills. There are allot of books out there that are mostly 'coffee table' books, allot of pretty pictures but not much content. Allot of photographers have entire libraries of these books, you read them once then they go on the shelf. There are also books that try to cover too much in 150-200 pages.<br>

If you want to learn about a certain subject, get a book that specializes on that specific subject, such as Macro, Nature, Studio. Not many books can cover a subject entirely, for that you might also need to attend some type of formal training.<br>

One good book that does a pretty good job of covering a variety of situations is Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Volumes I & II. It doesn't get into all aspects of photography such as, darkroom, digital editing, or studio lighting, but it does covers most major shooting assignments in an easy to follow manner.</p>