On site Printing

luigi_recine

For me, thermal printer is the best option. I currently use Fujifilm ASK-2000 which can print up to 6"x9". 4x6" takes 8 sec. and 5x7" takes 16 sec. The only cons is that the printer is expensive ($2400 at B&H) plus ribbon and thermal paper ($240 for 1200 prints 4x6" or $340 for 1200 prints 5x7")

I've used an Olympus P-10 printer connected to my notebook computer beore. I think you'll like a dye-sublimation printer better than an ink-jet. For one - dye sublimation is dry as soon as it comes out of the printer. Also, you will never run out of one ink color since the dye sub cartridge lasts the same as two pkg's of paper. It's a little slow (45sec/print) and mine only prints 4x6 but the prints do look pretty good (310dpi). I'm sure there are faster, better printers now since mine is a couple of years old. I've never used it at a wedding but for small activities at my church - it works just fine. I also saw it being used at a US Open Tennis match. The Olympus booth was printing free pics of the fans.

I agree with Dave. If it is a non-wedding type thing, dye-sub is the way to go. HiTouch makes some great enrty-level dye-subs at a good price. B&H has them. It's pretty hairly work. You usually need one person shooting or managing people, one printing. Usually two printers going at the smae time.

For Greg Jansen, I m planing on doing this at Birthday parties, corporate events and

wedding receptions

the volume can any where from 30-1000 prints.

For Dave Gardner, I'm not quite sure how a service requested by a client can be

concidered tacky and making more money with photography is deffenatly not Tacky. I am

looking for information on how to do this, lets keep the tread on that topic

Thanks

Lou

I started printing carry-out pics for parties and it worked so well that we tried it at receptions.It doesen't replace the wedding pics but seems to be a great gimmic for publicity.We sell the prints for what they are and have no trouble with it.We use two hp advanced paper printers and a d100 one person to print and an assisitant to shoot.This is with the B/G knowing before hand and wanting to offer to the guest.

I offer it as an option and I have had some clients request this. I look at it as part of a service. I use a HiTi subdye printer. I used a Canon inkjet one time & the drying time for prints was a real pain. I put each print in a folio & the prints have to be dry to do this. The whole process does take a couple of extra people. One to take the photos & 1 to run the laptop & printer. After doing this a few times I put a time limit on the photos. For instance maybe 2 hours of photos. This will give the person running the laptop & printer time to get the printing done. It does take of time. If I were going to do this alot I would get one of the real fast sub dye printers

It, time wise, would be a challenge if you are the 'sole' photographer at a wedding reception. Trying to take orders for reprints, taking photos of the bride-and-groom, and keeping an eye on where you equipment bag(s) are, and having a method to take payment __ is a lot for one guy, no matter how talented you are.

• 3 years later...