on location photography

danny_ramirez

I've been recently been asked to do some on location photography

work for a couple co-wokers's daughters. The girls(to be

photographed on different dates)are highschool

seniors and want to be photographed in an outdoor location yet to be

determined. I don't consider my work to be great, but they insist

that they like what they've seen so far(mostly picture of my 7 year

old and her cousin, at the park, the riverwal in S.A. etc.)

They've insisted so I've agreed to do it, my question to you all is

the following:

How much should I charge them for this type of work, I'm

approximating that it will probably take me between 1-2hrs to take

the shots, plus the post production(Photoshop)work, which can take

several hours.

I will be using my D100 and N80 with a 50mm 1.8 and a Sigma 70-300mm

4-5.6

Thanks!

It difficult to give a price, especially since you work with the person that wants the photos but they did approch you, not you looking for business. Don't sell yourself short in any case. You should give a honest price for your time,regardless of what time of your talent. Don't forget processing costs for the film camera and number of prints desired. And that couple hours of time will be realistically be 4-5 or 6+ hours.

Not sure why Photoshop work would take "several hours"? In general the charge is for the shoot, whatever you do afterwords is on you own time. I mean if you are capable of creating good negatives and dropping the film off at a good lab then what other time is there to charge?

At any rate you should charge a set amount for the finished product - say $200 for an 8x10 print, this is after proofs and including your time, etc.

Hope this helps.

-Andrew

i have recently been asked to quote for my first real paid commision, being a student

i am not looking at this as a money making exersise, althought i will eventually

(hopfully) earn my living from photography but not portraiture. i am offering my time

for free all i am asking of them is to pay my costs. i look at this as an opportunity to

learn and improve my techniques. If You are looking to profit from this work i would

just add up your costs then add what ever profit you are looking too that make say

$25 or 30 dollars for every hour that you estimate the work will take you. sorry if

those $25-30 figure is way out as im in the uk

Charge as much as you think your skills are worth, if you are confident that you can get a shot they will like, then charge like $300. If you are not so confident, I would go with around $200s.

How many pictures do you plan on taking? one roll of 36? To proof a 36 roll = ~$20, digital = free.

If I took one roll and they wanted 2 (8*10)s, and a sheet of wallet size, I would charge a friend about $170-200. For a stranger, I would go 250-300.

With this type of photography its really easy to slip *extra* costs in if you want to charge more.