On Being Famous

akochanowski

I have a mildly amusing little story to share.

I was asked to shoot some backstage and performance shots of a local

band here in Detroit. I am not in that business ordinarily, but I've

done it from time to time, and it's always an enjoyable evening. I had

shot the band before, and knew all they wanted were a few decent shots

t use in publicity materials.

Usually it's a no-brainer to grab the DSLR for this type of shoot. But

for whatever reason, last night as I was getting ready to leave I

decided to just shoot a couple of rolls of film, so I grabbed the M7

and one lens and left the Canon behind.

The venue is fairly well-known in Detroit, St.Andrews Hall, and it was

hosting four or five bands for the evening. Several local photogs were

there, probably doing the same thing I was, armed with the ubiquitous

20d's, d70's and strobes. I did my thing for an hour or so, then took

a few shots with a model I knew who was working with the band.

"OOh, you're shooting film". "Yup." "Cool. Don't see that much."

"Nope." "Is that a Leica?" "Yup." "Very cool." "Yup."

At a break, one of the photogs strolled over. "Is that a Leica digital?"

"Nope, they don't make one."

"That's really cool."

"Well, not really, but thank you."

"That's really a Leica?"

"Yes."

"That's awesome, I just shoot with this Nikon."

"Well, that works really well here, I usually use a 20D for this stuff."

"Yeah, but that Leica's really cool."

There you have it folks. We've passed straight from obsolete to

classic status.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This happens a lot to me in the real world when I have my Leica. It always turns out to be a very nice, friendly, polite conversation. The other person seems to really admire my camera, and I play it down a little bit. It is only on the internet (and largely photo.net) that such admiration goes so untolerated.

Backups? We don’t need no stinking ba #.’  _ ,    J

<I>"It is only on the internet (and largely photo.net) that such admiration goes so untolerated."</I>

<P>

My feelings exactly. My wife works at a local gallery/bar and a few weeks ago I was snapping away when another photographer wanders over and asks "no flash?". I say nah, there's enough light for what I'm after. He then notices my camera (M6). He says is that a Leica, I've always wanted to try one. I briefly explain the focus patch and then we traded for a few shots. His comment as we switched back was "wow, this thing is a brick". I offered that his camera was pretty nice too (a newメish Nikon digital) and that I wished I could switch from 100 to 3200 whenever I wanted too.

<P>

10 minutes later his friend was over next to me and we repeated the whole scene. It was a nice moment.<div>00EsH3-27545884.jpg.5992381f9d0a5ae384b529425461bd73.jpg</div>

And many times I have been out with my camera and would spot somebody else with a Leica or they would spot me with mine, the exchange always goes something like, "Hey, nice camera!" "Ah, yours is great, too!" and after a wink and a nod, that would be it. It happens all the time. It is like a brotherhood or something. I'm not sure what it is. But it is always a very pleasant exchange, and I have always felt kind of good about it afterwards. It's a very positive thing. It is the difference between two strangers not giving a damn about each other as they pass, and two strangers connecting on some level, even if it is only a word or two. One time, in Paris, I had my M6 and we were in a crowd. I spotted another owner with his. Not a word was exchanged, but we nodded and smiled to each other as we both very slightly raised our cameras as if the cameras were saying hello to each other. It was really cool.

Backups? We don’t need no stinking ba #.’  _ ,    J

I often get the same response when I shoot bands, etc., usually from the "official" shooters, who are inevitably 20-something. After chatting w/them, it's clear that they think of film cameras, including Leicas, as analogous to classic cars from the '60s or whatever (looks cool, still works when handled by an expert, but not something to use in a daily commute).

The definition of "cool" is when someone makes a knock-off. Just look at Gucci handbags and Rolex watches.

What I want to know is why someone doesn't make a Leica "knock off"?

Why isn't anyone making "Leica" logo stickers that you can put on your Bessa or even your Holga? I'd bet they'd sell (especially on FleaBay).

Well, out on the street I've never had someone comment on my camera. But many times

I've received wonderful comments on my book of street photos I always have with me

when I shoot.

For me, and I know other may feel differently, that's much more gratifying.

www.citysnaps.net

If anyone comments on my camera (and it happens all the time, the bigger the setup the more likely a comment) I immediately pull out one of the books of my photos I carry and get them talking about that. I've found more work, kindred spirits, and just had some great conversations about photography. How I spent my money isn't really of much interest, what I do with the tools seems to be much more interesting.

But that's just me, I guess, and pretty much everyone I've run into. Funny how when you show photographs, the camera loses interest to them.

Gee, when I go out on the street to shoot, no one ever talks to me about my camera. Not ever, not once. I suppose that's because I try to stay in the background. I could try to carry around a little book of my pictures so that people I accost could tell me they liked them, I guess, but I tend to get my satisfaction from editors choose them for publication, having shows, and having people find my stuff by themselves and emailing me to tell me how much they appreciate my photos. But thanks Brad and Jeff, carrying a book to shove under strangers' noses to hear their opinion, that sounds like a swell idea.

To the rest of you who got the mildly amusing points that people who are used to cameras (models and photographers) were surprised to see someone shooting film and curious about a camera they had heard about but not seen, thanks for sharing your stories.

Peter, the model was sooo hot, I cannot possibly show you pictures 'cause you'd be swimming all the way to the US if you saw them. Sorry, that's for your own good