Omega D2 150mm lens with 135mm cone

vinny_walsh

I may upgrade to a newer lens, i currently have a 135mm componar lens on the cone and

I'm wondering what my limitations would be with a 150mm lens installed. The neg would

not be at the optimum distance but would it work? Would there be any enlargement sizes

not possible?

I have a question for you: why are you considering changing lenses?

If you have doubts about your current lens's quality, run some tests: First, make sure your enlarger is aligned correctly, and then do some tests with your current lens to see how it's performing at the corners as regards image resolution and light fall-off, which would probably be the main problems you could have, provided that your lens is in good condition (clean scratch-free glass, tight construction etc.). You can test for light fall-off by making a medium-grey print with no negative in the light path; if the lens is giving light fall-off, the print will be lighter at the corners than in the middle. Try it at a few different f-stops. If it's performing well why bother with a longer lens? Take the money and buy paper!

But generally, while I'm not familiar with the D2, I am familiar with the effects of changes in enlarging lens focal length.

Basically, the shorter the focal length that covers the negative, the bigger are the enlargements you can potentially make. (Your exposure times are also shorter with the shorter lens -- not always desirable!) When you switch to a longer focal length on the same enlarger with the same baseboard etc., then the maximum size enlargement gets smaller. At the small end of enlargement sizes, I doubt you'd have enough bellows extension to notice whether there would be a real difference in minimum enlargement size possible.

One advantage of increasing the focal length is that the increased covering power of the longer lens can give better optical quality and less light fall-off out towards the corners. But if you're not having any problems with sharpness at the corners or light fall-off, then why switch?

If you're going to switch to a longer lens, then might you at the same time be able to switch to a higher-quality one? The Componars are fine lenses, but I think that these days with so many people dumping the darkroom equipment, for the same money as a new longer Componar you could do much better on a slightly used (even mint condition) top of the line. I think in a Schneider this would be one of the Componon models, if I recall correctly.

Another thing to consider, if image quality is the reason you're considering the longer lens: Why not just go for a 210mm? That's the "normal" size enlarging lens for 5x7, and thus the optical quality overall on enlargements from 4x5 negatives is going to be excellent, as compared to a shorter lens of equivalent quality. I've read in the past, and adopted in practice for myself, that it's advisable in practice to use a longer-than-normal focal length enlarging lens whenever possible. For example, I like to use 75-80mm for 35mm negs, 120-150 for medium format, and 210 for 4x5. But this does limit the maximum enlargement sizes.

You could also consider one of the process lenses, like the Schneider Claron or the Rodenstock Apo-Gerogon. Very, very nice lenses and they're often going for a song as compared to what they used to cost, if you bide your time and shop around.

Hope this helps.

Michael, I want to do some roll paper sized prints and i've been told that the componar

won't cut it. No, i haven't tried it myself yet because i won't have a darkroom set up for

another 3 weeks. I've used the componon-s and rogononin the past and have been very

pleased. New Rodenstocks and Schneiders have been going for $75 on *bay so i thought

i'd get one and start with the best.

I am back in less than 12 hrs. I will assume you have an original d2 which is the push-pull model with no elevation crank. In any case, with a 150 lens the smallest print will be 6 x 7.5 inch and the largest 16 x 20 with the film 39.5 inches from the baseboard. You may need to print on a elevated platform for the small size and require a thin easle for the big. If Your column is longer than mine, so the film can be higher than 39.5 inches from the baseboard, the max size will be larger.

you can always rotate the column for floor projection to go larger. Watch the alignment!

Componar were the lowest quality lens , but will work for small prints. The next step up is a comparon, which is scarce, optomised for 2x to 6x prints. The best was the conponon series and will be ok for most critical uses. I`m very happy with my comparons 135 & 150.

Start a new thread when you need help getting the d-2 into alignment or e mail me privately. A new thread is best as more people will learn. There are a few tricks and adjments not obvious.

Had to get dinner b/4 it got cold and upset the wife. Anyway, if you or anyone else needs plans or instruction to build a lens cone for an omega, I am willing to to type it all up. Just start a new thread with the request. You will need some modeling and woodworking skills, but they are minimal.

And a suggestion to Vinny, your componar will make decent small prints. The problem comes when you want to go bigger than 8 x 10. I don`t know what roll paper size prints are as roll paper comes in various widths.

I have both a 135 and 150 for my D3. The 135 is more versatile, whereas the 150 won't make a large print, and won't focus as close as I'd like. I've rigged up home made lens cones, and added spacers to existing cones. The spacer route is easiest, but a whole new cone can be made from a couple pieces of masonite, a round oatmeal box, and some epoxy!

• 2 years later...