omega B-ss enlarger lens plus condensor

christian_mani1

I've been using an old Omerga B-22 enlarger for 35mm black and white printing. I don't know what type of condensor is in it but I'm using a Rodenstock-Omegar 2.8/50mm lens. I'm getting good results with 35mm, but the results from use with 6x6 negs from my Yashicamat 124G are disappointing. My question is this: Do I need a different lens and condensor arrangement for medium format? If yes, can anyone recommend

a decent lens and type of condensor? thanks.

Chris,

<p>

The answer is yes you are (most likely) using the wrong condenser arrangement, and also not the most desireable focal length lens . I pulled out my B-22 instruction manual (1970 vintage) and find the following recommendation for 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 "3 in. (about 75mm) lens, with the standard double condenser arrangement". The 50mm lens you are using is too short a focal length for optimum results - also, for 35mm enlarging you probably have the supplementary condenser lens inserted on top of the two larger condenser lenses. This should be installed with the flat side down.

<p>

To get good results with the larger format, remove the supplementary lens (setting on top of the two larger condenser lenses) and find yourself a nice 75 or 80mm enlarging lens. This is a fine little enlarger and will give you good enlargemnts if you have it set up correctly.

<p>

If you need a 75 or 80mm lens I can probably dig one up at a reasonable price. The lens you are using now is a 3 element lens (OK, but not great), and I think you might be suprised at the improvement from using a "better" lens. In lenses for medium format the standards - Schneider Componon, Rodenstock Rodagon, EL-Nikkor are all truly fine, but my personal favorite is my 75mm f/4.5 Minolta Rokkor. In these lenses you pretty much get what you pay for, but you don't need to pay a lot to get a pretty decent lens (my Rokkor cost $80 - something like the 75mm version of your Omegar would be less).

<p>

Hope this helps.

<p>

Stephen

I also own a B-22, and I can second Stephen Poe's comments. I used the 75mm lens that came with the enlarger when I first started doing medium format, and I was very disappointed with the results. I ultimately bought a Nikkor lens, and the difference is amaszing.

I still have the B-22 (my kids use it), but I discovered another problem, which is why I replaced it with Saunders for my own use: I was unable to get the condensers clean enough to get clean enlargements, particularly of large clear spaces. I ran a series of tests, printing a light grey exposure with a high contrast (#5 Ilford) filter and no negative in the carrier. No matter how clean the condensers were, there were always spots and other irregularities in the print for which I could find no explanation other than the condensers.

Since I bought the Saunders, I have been much happier.

Good Luck.