OM4T with F-280 flash

joe_blow16

I just got a factory refurbished F-280 flash to go with the OM4T

I've had for ages. In the manual for the flash it says that with

the camera in AUTO mode and the flash in Super FP Flash mode, the

shutter will not release if the shutter speed is less than 1/60 sec.

Now, when I put the flash on the camera and try to see how this

works, the shutter in fact _does_ release. Does this indicate

something wrong or am I just not understanding something?

Thanks for your help,

JB

Hi JB,

<p>

Just tried it with mine (OM-4T, F280): camera on Auto, flash on Super FP, shutter speed at around 1 sec... the camera & flash fired and the lamp on the flash remained on, and steady (not flashing) - same as yours, I guess! I think it doesn't mean that the flash can be trusted though (but I don't have the flash manual).

<p>

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful...

I must admit I haven't tried this, but recall the instructions say switch to manual at speeds under 1/60th, in which case it gets real complicated real fast, and I don't know why it needs to be this way. I'll try this next time there is no film in the camera.

It's compounded by the fact that my Sekonic can't cope with the blitz output on FP mode either, so I can't check the results of experimentation. The guide numbers quoted for the flash do not take into account ambient light, and I can't tell if the compensation dial has any effect either in manual mode (I think not). Exposure tests seem to be the only answer and I haven't got round to it yet. I did come across a distance chart at http://www.fys.uio.no/~tbryhn/main/F280chart.html

but haven't really digested it.

I don't see why the flash couldn't switch to TTL itself for slower speeds a-lá OM707 when the camera is in auto mode. Makes sense to me anyway.