OM1 film advance lever

inoneeye

I have an OM1n with a film advance lever that will not spring back after being cocked. I assume there is a tension spring...?

I can advance the film and then push the lever back manually. I have used it this way for many years but would like to fix it. myself.

Has anyone had experience opening and replacing the broken part?

n e y e

It's easy to remove the base plate, just remove the little screws with a well fitting screwdriver and it lifts off, from memory I don't think there are any loose bits to fall out and get lost. Then you may be able to see if a spring has broken or come adrift. Perhaps a little very light lubrication of the mechanism at the bottom of the advance lever shaft is all that's needed.

I always work over a large tray to catch anything that falls out.

Perhaps others will come in with more specific instructions.

Thank you so much Dave.

This week I came across Simon Hawkett's site showing photos and explanation of his disassembly and reassembly of an OM1n. After seeing that and the repair manuals you posted I think I will forgo my attempt. So many parts to contend with to get at the suspected disengaged or broken part. Such a good camera... unfortunately I will probably ride it in to the ground.

n e y e

Hi,

In the main much of the above, this is how I fix these issues:

Remove top cover - Quite easy, but will share my observations\little nuances to be mindful of

1: Don't use a spanner wrench on the top of the film winder, the little decoration can easily be marked\scratched, the best way is to apply downward pressure using either a nice bit of rubber (a section of an old trainer sole for example) rub it on the carpet to get a bit of friction and turn anti-clockwise, with a few efforts it may come loose, if this does not work, don't despair, apply a little acetone into the two holes, and rub around, what your trying to do is loosen the bonding of the decoration from the chrome top cover, you could also try gingerly prising with a fine toothpick, eventually it will come loose so you remove the decoration easily then continue to unscrew the film winder piece without worrying about damaging the decoration cap.

2: Once the winder cover is off you should be able to remove off, the winder lever may have a small washer hidden underneath it so try not to loose it, once off it will expose the final washer to that can be removed

3: The hotshoe screw is easy to unscrew, just be mindful to not let the spanner slip as you may end up running a nice scratch across the top plate

4: the film rewind section is easy to undo, i find it easy to insert a screwdriver into underside (The forked section that you see in the film chamber) to provider the leverage, with the screwdriver in place you should be able to with pressure turn the film rewind crank handle to loosen it, once removed there is a small washer in side, if it fall out just remember that when putting it back it need to have the lifted\bent section (it will be obvious when you look at it) pointed down towards the top cover, from there 2 screws can be undone and the top plate should lift off, always wiggle it gingerly as it may well have been on for a number of years, it will come off but there are plenty of little wires underneath that can be damaged quite easily due to their age

5: You will notice that once the top plate is off a spring would have fallen out, this sits on the film rewind side and should be noticeable where it came from as a small raised notch on the top front is where this will need to re-positioned when you but the top cover back on

6:With the top cover off you can now see the inner working a bit more of the film winder mechanism, at this point I'd suggest putting back on the very last washer you took off from the top plate removal on the film winder side, also the film winder lever and screw to tighten it down slightly, this will help to see what the mechanism is doing and you can also test it.

At this point be very careful\mindful not to disturb any wires, the brown wire\maybe black running across the prism area sis the battery wire, the solder joint could be fragile and breaking this means, either a re-solder or at worst a new batteyr wire running through and then a re-solder! not for the faint hearted!

Also note the blue wire for the exposure meter, I've found these to be quite robust and need to wary when doing a prism replacement but again just be aware of it.

In terms of the issue you have with the winder not springing back I've found that 9 times out of 10 its due to the oil\grease being stiff or clogged, this is hard to describe but as you loo at the mechanism you should see two relatively large chrome plates which look like they are stuck together, a professional may well take this whole mechanism apart an thoroughly clean and re-lube where needed, but I would at this point suggest the following:

As an initial test you could carefully drop a few drops of lighter fuel between these parts, with a couple of winds to work the fluid around in the area you should see a very quick fix, if you have applied it in the right area, if not try again.

If this works I'd then use a fine watch oil with a couple of drops, this will give some longevity to the winder lever springing back there are some decent oils you can get online.

This is an approach you can take, I'm not saying its what I'd do, although I have a few times but I would personally dissemble and clean up the mechanism but only because I feel confident enough to do so.

Word of warning on reassembly of the top plate:

Don't forget the spring on the film rewind side, needs to be in place before top plate is pushed on

Be very mindful of the brown\black battery wire running around the prism area, the top plate can catch this if not careful and severe it!

Always place the top plate on gingerly, I find it easiest to place it over the shutter release pin first then wiggle it on, it is sometimes helpful to very slight bend the top plate upwards\outwards to get it over the viewfinder frame, but do this very light handed

Obviously you can also get the camera to a pro who may also give some warranty, but in my opinion there is an element of fun and intrigue in doing thsi yourself!

Best of luck!!