OM still has fans

akochanowski

For all you OM fans, here's a little anecdote. I was covering the Detroit Electronic Music Festival over

the weekend. Lots of thumpng techno music, glowsticks, 20-25 year olds. When I was done shooting

with my Nikon D300 for the people who wanted the pictures, I put it away and took out my old OM 4Ti

with a 28/2.8 just to see if there were any interesting shots for me. Within 20 minutes a guy who

couldn't have been more than 25 came over and started asking if I still like shooting with the OM, and

how his first camera was an OM1. Hard to imagine that there are still people under 40 who appreciate

this little gem. Though I've mostly been shooting digital for the past 3 years, I'm glad I haven't sold my

OM4Ti kit. The negs from the show look just great.

I'm approaching 40 and I've been shooting Olympus OM for the last 20 years. I bought a new OM10 with 35-70mm 3.5-4.5 as my first camera. That camera started a love affair with the system. I was never tempted to switch brands when autofocus came along. After the OM10 I quickly progressed to an OM2S and OM1 and now shoot with an OM4Ti. I have a fairly conprehensive collection of OM lenses including a 90mm F2 and 80mm F4 bellows lens (OMs great system for Macro).

Recently I bought a Nikon 40x digital SLR and am getting excellent results from this camera, but its just not the same as my OM4Ti to use.

I can't see myself selling my OM gear. After having not used my OM gear for about 5 months I went for a walk with my OM4Ti it loaded with Kodak E100GX slide file the other day and a couple of primes. It was the most fun photography I have done in a long time.

My first camera was an OM-1 handed down from my Dad. I still use it as my second camera, though one of these days I need to get the light meter fixed. My primary camera is an OM-1n.

I am 25 and started shooting about 5 years ago with the OM-1, though I used it little. I've been shooting a lot in the last about 2-3 years (around a roll of film a month, more with big events or vacations).

I am with Tim, so long as they keep making film I'll keep shooting with an OM camera. I may move primarily to digital some day, but I don't think that day is going to be soon and even then I know I will still use my OM cameras occasionally.

It's the only 35mm SLR system I have ever picked up that made sense... in every way. The size, the features, the controls... for me it fits perfectly into what I like about photography. I don't like push-button cameras.... although I'm "dealing" with the one's on my OM4... ;) But after shooting the OM4 for a few months, I pick up the OM1 and I fall in love all over again.... it is in every way a more enjoyable camera to use, smoother controls, quieter, no batteries needed! I can think of dozens of ways that my OM1 is superior to most of the dSLR's on the market today and that keeps me here. If film comes to an end, lets hope someone puts out digital backs for all the system cameras with removable backs.... OM included!

That myspace group is:

http://groups.myspace.com/classiccameras

Yes Patrick, I always thought (and still do) that the OM-1(n) and OM-2(n) have a much better <i>feel</i> to hold and use than the OM-4 and other brands of camera. My OM-4T has a wonderful smooth action and bright viewfinder but I still love my old OM-1n and OM-2n best (and of those two, it's the OM-1n that wins!).

I had the ultimate camera when I bought my Canon A1, when it was the latest thing in 35mm bodies.

That was until I heard about the OM TTL metering. I bought an OM2n new and now have OM macro & bellows lenses (not the 80mm), auto-extension tube, etc, plus all the T series flash guns. I use Tamron SP Adaptall-2 lenses for focal lengths longer than 50mm, plus the 24-48mm and a 17mm.

I was happily using my 2n for semi-pro work when I bought a used OM4 purely as an affordable spotmeter. I loved that so much that I bought another and the 2n became the reserve, now given to my wife. I fitted the OM4s with Beattie Intensescreens for much brighter viewfinder images and had a very versatlie kit.

The only thing I dislike about my OMs is the unreliable grip of the take-up spool on the film leader. That, and the lack of a provision for fill-in flash.

Harold, that is funny, I too had the Canon A1 for years (also the F1n which was quite the thing too) until I ran across the OM series.

I managed to buy from Olympus America one of the very last OM4Ti's ever made before they stopped production. It was a refurbished item that was essentially brand-new. I picked up one of the hard to find grips, paid way too much for a 2-series screen, and after a few years had John Hermanson do a CLA. I pair it up with the 40/2 pancake and a 28/2.8 or a 21/3.5. While I do a lot of shooting with a Nikon D300, and before that a D200, there are times I want the latitude and look of real film. I'm not much on getting excited about cameras, but the OM is still a pleasure to use.

Harold, I have been noticing that on my OM4... but my OM1 seems to have a better grip. I do have one OM1 body that the film slips at the END of the roll causing the frame counter to keep running and lots of multiple exposures if I don't pay attention! I suspect it is a mechanical failure and not normal operation as it is the only body I have that does this.

I'll second the unreliable take up spool. I guess 2 missloaded rolls out of probably 100 isn't really that terrible, but 2% failure still stinks. After the last one I learned the technique of loading it, advancing to the first frame and then turning the rewind knob without turning the reverse selctor until it takes up all the slack in the film canister. If it won't rotate anymore then the film is loaded correctly, if it keeps pulling back in then it is missloaded.

I just took out my 20 year old OM 4T after a few years on the shelf - It was interesting to compare with my new D300. The first thing my 10 year old said when I showed him what film was and how to load it was, "That's so primitive". I was laughing as I explained to him that you need to focus and even wind the film. I have a good collection of prime Zuiko lenses and took out the 100 mm 2.8. The feel of the camera, ease of use, bright crisp viewfinder and smooth lense action. It becomes an extension of you.

As much as I love the D300, I think Olympus produced a masterpiece that is still as good of an SLR that ever was.

Matthew - I always load the film , insert the tomgue in the take-up reel, and then tighten the rewind knob - before winding. Then when you advance thru the first 2 dead frames, you will see the rewind knob turn , confirming that the film didn't slip off.

I'm 20, and I have a lot of OM cameras and lenses... And I want MORE, MORRRREE%))

Just kidding... I don't want more, i only want to sell cameras and lenses which i don't use...

Right now i'm hunting for 50/1.2 and some OM-3Ti... Yes, I know the price... And i'm thinking also about Leica MP...

The OM3 seems interesting to me... but if it handles like the OM4, I think you would be better off using a hand-held spot meter and an OM1.... the controls are MUCH smoother and the OM1 seems to be quieter overall than the OM4, both the shutter and film advance! Lack of self timer and mirror lock-up is also a drawl-back if you do long exposure work. You gain one stop of speed on the shutter, but I think the stiffer, noisier film advance is a price you pay for it! I think Olympus could have continued to sell the OM1 as it was with a circuit for 1.5v batteries and been better off than with the OM3... but that's just the OM1 fan-boy in me talking. ;)

Some day I would love to get an example of each OM-x series, I personally don't care about the OM-xx series at all. My dream zuiko lenses are

50/1.2, 85/2, 100/2, 180/2.8 and 300/4.5

Now of course I would love to get a 21/2, but I just don't think it is pratical (and WAY to expensive).

There are a number of 3rd party lenses I want to get some day. Tamron 17/3.5, 135/2.5, 180/2.5 (though I doubt I will ever find one I can afford), 80-200/2.8 and 300/2.8. Sigma 28-70/2.8 and 400/5.6 APO

That is pretty much the whole list of lenses I want to acquire some day. There are a few other super exotic ones that I doubt I will ever find let alone be able to afford (such as a Tamron 400/4). A few other ones I would love to get to play with as well, such as a Vivitar 85/1.8 or Soligor 85/1.5 T-mount or a Vivitar 135/1.5 or 1.8, that sort of thing.

I have the following OM equipment:

(2) OM 4's

(1) OM 40

(1) OM A11

(1) OM 10

(1) Om Super Zoom 3000

Also the following Zuiko lenses:

(1) 21/2

(1) 28/2.8

(1) 55/1.2

(1) 85/2

(1) 100/2.8

(1) 35/2,8 Shift

(1) 35-105/3.5-4.5 Zoom

(1) 65-200/4 Zoom

(1) 85-250/5 Zoom

(1) 135/3.5

(1) 35-70/3.5-4.5 Zoom

In addition there is various cases,flashes.eyepieces etc.

I bought most of this equipment while on a four year work assignment in Saudi Arabia where I was located at Yanbu.I had read an article in National Geographic about Jane Goodall,an anthropologist,who studied apes in Africa and who used an OM1 to photograph them.The strange part of this tale is that in the very small town of Yanbu,SA there is an Olympus dealer.Since I was receiving a substantial living allowance and there was very little to spend it on I started to buy Olympus equipment starting with the OM10,a 50 mm 1.8,a 28 mm 2.8 and the 135 mm 3.5.

On leave in Ireland I used the OM10 extensively and was so pleased that I became an addict.I think that the OM4 metering system is the best I have ever used however until I can solve the battery leakage problem I use the OM40 mostly.That is my tale and I am very happy to have stumbled upon this website and forum.

<i>"Now of course I would love to get a 21/2, but I just don't think it is pratical </i>(sic)<i> (and WAY to expensive)."</i>

<p>

I disagree - the 21/2 is worth every penny IMO. The 18/3.5, now that's more impractical (but "sadly" I have one of each: perhaps a sure sign of some kind of addiction?)

Matthew, I have each of your dream lenses except for the 100/2 (which is a dream lens for me, along with the 90/2: not sure which I want more!).

The 50/1.2 is nice but the 50/1.4 is better actually (I have both).

The 85/2 is excellent and also not all that expensive (might be the cheapest of your dream team).

The 180/2.8 is also very good, I'm very happy with mine and I wouldn't want the brighter 180/2 due to its weight.

My original copy of the 300/4.5 (a silver-nose) wasn't all that good; I now have a new version (black-nose) but haven't tested it yet.

You guys have me beat hands down on lens acquisition syndrome :)<p>I approached the OM4 from a different perspective, using it exclusively for street photography /photojournalism. So I went for the smallest short lenses that I would reasonably need, and ended up with the 28/3.5, 28/2.8, 21/3.5, 40/2, and 50/1.4. All but the 28/2.8 were purchased second-hand since I only got to know the system a couple of years before it was being discontinued. The 21/3.5 price on ebay got driven up by DSLR owners who wanted the tiny wide-angle to put on a body via an adapter. A nice copy seems to be around $300-$400, which really does not seem all that much for a sterling wide angle lens. The 40/2 pancake got pretty expensive since there are so few of them, they are a somewhat unique focal length, and I suspect many ended up in collector's drawers. I think if you see one these days it runs about $600-700. The other lenses are a total bargain. A 28/2.8 can be found every day for $80, a 35/2.8 for $120, and even a 24/2.8 for about $150. The very nice 50/1.8 is practically a giveaway. Compared to the insanity that passes for Leica prices, these are still a great bargain.<p>If anyone has an early series 35/2.8 that they want to get rid of, let me know....