OM Lens Cleaning

jeff_guthrie

<p>Try good old fashioned cleaning methods... blow the surface clean with a rocket blower or some such, then use lens papers and cleaning fluid (gently)... the modern lens cloths work well too. Make sure your cleaning fluid is safe for coated lenses - optometrists often sell suitable cleaner if your local 'big box' electronics store doesn't have anything suitable.<br>

This worked for one of my old OMs.<br>

Good luck! It is a great lens.</p>

<p>The haze is found on the inside surfaces of the lenses as well. I have cleaned my 50mm f1.8, I think the rear assembly came apart fairly easily by removing the screws in the back. Not sure if the 35f2 is mechanically the same.</p>

<p>A jewler's screw driver set is going to be required. From taking apart a 135/3.5 a bit and a 50/1.8, if the 35/2 is anything similar the rear element should come out pretty easily. Just remove the bayonet mount at the rear and then your likely to be able to get the retaining ring off the rear element. I believe it required a spanner though...maybe. That's as far as I can remember though. At any rate I didn't have one and was able to get it partially lose, but I couldn't get it free. This was an attempt to clean both lenses of significant, significant fungus. Since they were so cheap I gave up instead of spending the money on a decent jewler set and a spanner.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice so far. Unfortunately, cleaning fluids I used seemed to have no effect on the haze. It appears that the coating itself on the outside of the glass is hazed, there are no issue with fungus. It looks as though someone tried using a harsh chemical to clean the rear element, which in turn caused the coating to turn somewhat milky in appearance.</p>