href="http://www.pbase.com/image/22105664">http://www.pbase.com/image/

22105664</a><br>

<a

href="http://www.pbase.com/image/22080847">http://www.pbase.com/image/

22080847</a>

<p>These were all taken with a Zuiko 50mm f/3.5 macro which becomes

80mm on the 300D. It's a treat to bring my Zuikoholism into the

digital age!

Yes, that's exactly how it works Kelly. The lens is used in manual stop-down mode. I use 'P' mode, focus wide open, then stop down while watching the meter to see if the shutter speed remains fast enough. As I stop down, the camera shows the changing shutter speed. Not as fast as using a Canon EOS lens but I don't mind using it this way. Neil D uses 'Av' mode on his 10D. I think it's more or less the same difference, but I'll let Neil comment.

A related question: The focusing screen on my EOS 5 has no

focusing aids, and hardly seems to "snap" into focus. The

screen yields so little useful information about focus (except for

which focusing point is selected) that I doubt I could focus my

Zuikos effectively. Have you used manual focus successfully on

a wide range of subjects and lighting, and beyond macro range?

My suggestion is to just live with the EOS 5 standard screen. I have EOS A2 and replace it with all matte grid screen but the problem is that it defeats the flashing AF indicator if I try to use EOS AF lens. My approaces is to get an inexpensive EOS 650/620/630/RT and replacing a micro prism or split image screen for regular use. The funny thing is that they don't have anything closed to the Olympus 1-13 screen. I also found the all matte grid screen is little bit easy to do manual focusing than the stardard EOS screen. Which is also very useful in macro work.

Hi Gene and Kelly, I just tried out my 10D and found the following: Av = 1/180, P = 1/90 - this for same f-stop, ISO, lens, and view... Sorry, I can't explain it! So, I have always used Av mode (or M mode) when using the 10D with Zuikos, I don't know why P mode is different from Av mode, but it does seem to be!! Other than that, I use the same procedure as Gene describes.

<p>

Gene, does your 300D have Av mode, or just P mode?

<p>

John: You need good eyes! I <i>have</i> used manual focus successfully on a wide range of subjects and lighting, because I all my lenses are Zuikos (or OM mount off-brand lenses - I have no Canon EF lenses!). It needs good eyes, and it helps to focus wide open, as Gene says, and then adjust the aperture... Hope this helps?

<p>

Hello *****! There is some details about the adapter on this <a href="/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005v7q"><b>thread</b></a>. It also tells you who to contact, etc.

<blockquote><i>Hi Gene and Kelly, I just tried out my 10D and found the following: Av = 1/180, P = 1/90 - this for same f-stop, ISO, lens, and view... Sorry, I can't explain it! So, I have always used Av mode (or M mode) when using the 10D with Zuikos, I don't know why P mode is different from Av mode, but it does seem to be!! Other than that, I use the same procedure as Gene describes.

Gene, does your 300D have Av mode, or just P mode?</i> --Neil D.</blockquote>

<p>Glad I caught your post, Neil. I re-tried and, yes, the 300D works fine with Zuikos in Av mode (the 300D has the same modes that the 10D has). M mode works fine with the Zuikos but I don't get any metering in that mode. And like you, I get different readings between P and Av. Av seems to be better. Thanks!

<p>The only Canon lens I have is the kit lens that came with the 300D (worth getting IMO). All the rest are Zuikos and an OM-mount Vivitar Series 1 80-200mm. I've now had a chance to try the lenses under more types of lighting conditions and haven't had much difficulty focusing, though focus is NOT as easy as it is with an OM. Also, the 300D viewfinder is said to be not as bright as the 10D so that might be a factor for some. I can do available light headshots indoors by room lighting with my 100mm f/2.8. Outdoors the finder is bright at full aperture.

Hi Gene, I <i>do</i> have metering in M mode - at least, it tells me if <i>it</i> thinks I'm over- or underexposing the shot. But you don't really need this - I shoot, check the histogram, adjust and reshoot (and repeat until I get it right!).

Neil, it looks as if the 300D and 10D are identical in terms of metering with the Zuikos. After reading your last post I tried M mode and it behaved just as you described. Useful too. I utilized it today for some shooting. Thanks for the info!

Why a ring adapter should cost 19000 Yen (nearly 150 euros) if it is only simple mechanical stuff? Usually ring adapters have different prices, much lower than that. I've EOS 300D and some Zuiko lenses, so I'm very attracted by the ring, but 150 euros is definitely too much, at least here in Italy.

I'm looking for someone willing to make a nice gift to me...

Emanuele, yes, it is mechanical... and it would be great if it was cheaper! But, it is only 2mm thick - this (apparently) needs precision manufacturing and needs to be of high quality just to hold together... this, and the low demand, make it expensive!!!