OM-2 flocking around matte screen

tomwawer

Hello!

I have recently cleaned my OM-2 as the foam was a little gooey. The

cameraman changed it to the new, black material. However, he removed

small two foam parts at the end of matte screen, cleaned all and has

not put any foam there. When I asked he told me that the mirror

damping is pneumatic and the foam there is not needed.

Please tell me if he's right or should I put the foam there? If so,

maybe you have some pictures of exact shape of the foam?

Best regards,

Tom

I got a full CLA from John Hermanson (www.zuiko.com), who put two little pads where the mirror hits at the top. The old ones had pretty much rotted off. I do notice a slight (very slight) improvement, if only in the sound. I don't know if it makes much difference, but it would seem that the pads are standard. Hermanson is Olympus factory-trained and does excellent work.

The foam is just two tiny little rectangles, placed at the corners, where the mirror hits at the top.

I had an OM-1n serviced by Commercial Camera Repair in Toronto and they replaced the mirror foam with small rectangular pieces.

More recently, I bought some foam from the auction site and replaced the foam in two OM-2n bodies myself. At first, I tried to replicate the "L" shape of the original mirror pads, but no matter how thin I made the part at the side of the screen, it would interfere with the mirror. I finally gave up and used rectangular pieces. The cameras worked fine afterwards.

The foam came from Jon Goodman, who sells under the name interslice. I used the 1/16 inch foam because the type of material most closely resembled the original foam (looks like the bubbles in an Aero chocolate bar but on a much smaller scale). I cut the small rectangular pieces to the correct shape first and then cut the thickness in half with scissors. The foam set I bought came with a sheet of 1/32" thickness which I didn't use because it didn't look like the original material, but it would probably work just as well.

• 2 weeks later...