OM-1 prism destroyed by foam... bad experience

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by ondrejp_spyderman, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Yesterday I did the cleaning work on my friend's OM-1. One of the first series, incompatible with motors and winders.

The foam seriously damaged the prism silvering. According to this article I removed the damaged part of silvering, but it's still nasty...

Just a word of warning: If your OM-1 is still OK, don't wait and get it removed and cleaned. AFAIK this is only true for OM-1 and maybe OM-2, not the "N" versions or anything later. I had a OM-1N apart, and there was no foam used.

See the following pictures from the cleaning procedure...
    00JT0h-34371684.jpg

2. detail of the foam
    00JT0l-34371784.jpg

3. most foam removed
    00JT0q-34371984.jpg

4. damaged silvering

5. damaged silvering (the picture)
    00JT0w-34372084.jpg

6. removed the damaged part of silvering...
    00JT0y-34372184.jpg

7. Nice writeup,

I have the same problem with an OM-2 of mine which I'm looking at on the weekend. I might see if I can steal a prism from a dead camera it may be the better option.

8. I have read somewhere that Olympus stopped using the prism foam for the OM-1 at around serial number 1,119,xxx but used it again at least for the early OM-1N models starting with S/N around 1,623,xxx.

9. WARNING: the information "this is only true for OM-1 and maybe OM-2, not the "N" versions or anything later" is incorrect. Some N versions indeed do have the foam. Recently a very high serial number OM-2N had the foam, but fortunately the prism was still intact.