Olympus Trip 35 strange effect

patrick398

18930014.thumb.JPG.a3f60492845dae8ed882968176733ea9.JPG Hey, let me just start by saying i know basically nothing about photography so please excuse my ignorance haha. My friend lent me her Olympus Trip 35 camera to take with me to India and i've really fallen in love with it and with film photography in general. Because i didn't know to how to use or set up the camera some of the photos came back with strange but really cool effect which, since learning how to set up the camera basically, i have been unable to replicate. I was just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what has happened here and how i would be able to acheive the effect again. It was 800 iso film and there was a good chance i had it on the wrong iso setting on the camera.

Thanks a lot :)

One possibility is what they used to call "cooked film." Film exposed to excessive heat either in the camera ( on a car dash for instance) or after removal of the cartidge in a hot sunny place. Are all the images red colored on the roll, those near the outer layers would show more color shift. Anyway, it is a clear shift in the emulsion layers of the film that is giving the red color shift. Not to be confused with redshift in astronomy of course . Frankly I have not real clue but there are filters you can buy to get any color on the film you like. You do say some of the photos, so heat effect or light leakage are clues that Sherlock would follow up on. Good luck.

Thanks for the response! That sounds plausible, it was extremely hot the whole time we were there. There are only three photos that came out like this and they were in a row on the film so maybe it was particularly hot during this time

Opening the back will expose the film to stray light and cause fogging, typically of the image in the film gate plus some either side. When you said there were three pictures affected, it occurred to me as a possibility.

The degree of fogging and number of frames affected will depend on the brightness of the light, and the length of time it was open. And the orange colour is caused by the light passing through the film base from the rear, before hitting the light sensitive emulsion. If the light came from the front, the fogging would be white.

I should add that I've never actually done this myself, so it's just a theory. Film being damaged by heat or by airport X ray machines are also possibilities.

ISO 800 film is probably pushing the envelop a bit for this camera. True that color negative film often benefits from some overexposure (Trip meter ISO settings only go to 400) but the 800 is more susceptible to fogging due to heat or light leaks. Generally, with my Trip I stick to ISO 200 or below. Great little camera, btw. The selenium meters in most of them have held up quite well over the years.