Olympus TG-4 shuts off seconds after turning on

tholte

I contacted Olympus with my problem and they say it is probably a short circuit. It is not under warranty and they are quoting me $143.00 to repair which is half the price of a new one. I didn't use this camera much and never got it wet. I am not going to send it in for repair but am wondering if anyone on PN has any ideas? Thanks for any responses! Yes I did recharge my OEM battery and bought three more and still no go. I can't get in to the menu because the power only stays on for about ten seconds. I thought this camera was supposed to be "Tough"!

I’ve owned TG-2,3,4 & 5. All owned from new and the only problem I have encountered is the zoom rocker switch going after a week or so on TG-5. Oly fixed it pronto.

They are tough, I’ve dropped most of mine and they bear up.

I’ve owned TG-2,3,4 & 5. All owned from new and the only problem I have encountered is the zoom rocker switch going after a week or so on TG-5. Oly fixed it pronto.

They are tough, I’ve dropped most of mine and they bear up.

I thought it was supposed to be tough Norman that's why I bought it. My Nikon D300 and D750 have proven to be much tougher.

Does anything display on the screen in that ten seconds ?

Yes, what the camera is seeing for five seconds (just timed it) and then shuts off. I am open to any ideas because I am not sending it to Olympus to fix for $143.00.

Thanks for your response!

I’m sorry to hear that Tim. IIRC, the TG-4 uses a proprietary cable for in camera charging. Do you think that might be the problem? Could you not try charging the battery with a cheap external battery charger? They have them on amazon uk for about £8-10. Probably cheaper where you are. Edited by Norman 202

Yes, what the camera is seeing for five seconds (just timed it) and then shuts off. I am open to any ideas because I am not sending it to Olympus to fix for $143.00.

Thanks for your response!

What I was asking was, is there any text on the screen for the time that the screen is on ? Usually it has something like "Change Battery"

Do you have a multimeter ? Check the voltage of the battery. If the battery is flat, the charger may be faulty

If the battery is fully charged, the camera may well have a short circuit and a safety device in the circuitry is possibly preventing an overload, acting like a circuit breaker

Have you cleaned the battery contacts deep down in the battery compartment in the camera ? There may be dust bridging across the contacts

If you can't fix the problem without disassembling the camera, I think you would be wise to pay Olympus to fix it, $143 sounds fair

What I was asking was, is there any text on the screen for the time that the screen is on ? Usually it has something like "Change Battery"

Do you have a multimeter ? Check the voltage of the battery. If the battery is flat, the charger may be faulty

If the battery is fully charged, the camera may well have a short circuit and a safety device in the circuitry is possibly preventing an overload, acting like a circuit breaker

Have you cleaned the battery contacts deep down in the battery compartment in the camera ? There may be dust bridging across the contacts

If you can't fix the problem without disassembling the camera, I think you would be wise to pay Olympus to fix it, $143 sounds fair

There is no text, just the live view and then nothing. I will get another battery charger to see if that is the problem. I will try cleaning the contacts also to see if that works. Thanks again for the tips. Will let you know what happens.