Olympus Pen EES-2 repair

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by john_chambers, Jul 11, 2005.

1. This is an Olympus Pen EE-S2 which I believe was introduced around 1968. This particular sample was acquired on eBay for $17 plus shipping. It exhibited the one problem that I have found to be most common in the Pen E series, the aperture did not function. Features of this camera are selenium cell auto exposure and flash settings where you select the aperture. Two shutter speeds, 1/40 and 1/200. Zone focus. Half frame 18 x 24 mm format. When the camera is functioning normally, you will observe that the aperture opens to its appropriate setting as you press the shutter release button. In the automatic setting, if there is not enough light, a red flag should rise in the viewfinder and the shutter release should lock. If you do not observe this behavior, don?t assume that the meter is dead. The flaw is usually mechanical in nature. Remove the top cover and you can observe the meters needle (red circle) move as you point the selenium cell toward a light source. As you press the shutter release, the needle is trapped between a static plate and two moving jaws or pinchers. I?ve hear this being referred to as ?trap-needle metering?. If you see the needle move, your selenium cell is good.
    00CqUJ-24618884.jpg

2. Another view; the needle is under the plate at red circle.
    00CqUL-24618984.jpg

3. Red flag should rise if you cover the selenium cell.
    00CqUN-24619184.jpg

4. The lens assembly comes away by removing four screws, accessible from inside camera back.
    00CqUR-24619484.jpg

5. Digging deeper, here the shutter is removed from the lens assembly for cleaning. The plate that the shutter is mounted to is rotated away from the back of the lens also for cleaning. No problem here as the shutter was already working fine.
    00CqUV-24619784.jpg

6. Back together and attacking from the front. Remove three set screws and lift away the center retaining ring. Be careful to note the focus position and position of all parts before removing so you can put it all back together the same way.
    00CqUY-24619984.jpg

7. The front lens element unscrews and lifts off. Again, be careful to observe its position and screw all the way in to see where it seats before removing. (This is front element focusing just like some of the old triple element lenses in Kodak, Zeiss, etc., folders.) Remove three more screws and the selenium cell comes away. Here is the pin that moves the aperture blades (red circle). Try to move it and it feels very stiff. Apply a little rosonol on a Q-tip to loosen it up. Caution: too much rosonol will wick up into the lens assembly so be careful. Note the aperture fully closed below.
    00CqUg-24620084.jpg

8. And finally the aperture opens.
    00CqUm-24620384.jpg

9. Back together again. Looks pretty good. Ready for a spin.
    00CqUt-24620584.jpg

10. Thanks for the insights.

I like those little cameras. Mine is the earlier one with fixed focus. It has been responsible for some memorable photographs.

11. Ooops! I forgot to mark where infinity is before removing the front lens element on my
    Olympus Pen EES-2. Any suggestions on how to reassemble this with correct focus would
    be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

12. Dear John,

How about the case when selenium cell not work?
    Btw, do you mind tell me how to release the front little black ring with the brand name on it? Thanks a lot.

13. So did anyone have any tips on how to check if the focus was set correctly?