Olympus Pen EE Will Not Fire on ASA Setting

<p>I have come across a cosmetically nice Olympus Pen EE. If I set the ASA below/adjacent to the chrome nodule (below the Olympus - Pen logo) the shutter will not fire. However, if I set any f-stop below/adjacent to the chrome nodule the shutter will fire. Does anyone know what the problem is or if it needs repair?</p>

<p>The EE has an autoexposure system that takes control of aperture and exposure when the camera is set to any ASA range. It will not allow shutter release if light is not enough for the camera range (i.e. 1/40 and maximum lens aperture), showing a red flag in the camera viewfinder. Autoexposure tries to use 1/200 if there is enough light.<br>

In the f-stops range, speed is 1/40 and exposure is manually controlled. You can use the camera with manual exposure, provided you keep the camera very steady when you release the shutter. This f-stop range was intended for flash but you can use it with no flash as well.<br>

If you have enough light and the autoexposure is not releasing, the camera either has some problem with the autoexposure mechanism, which is most likely in an old camera and simple to fix, or with the sensor.</p>

• 8 years later...
This is a very old thread but it is the only one I have found with the exact same problem that I do have with my Pen EE: the camera would not fire on the ASA setting but only the f stops. Actually the information in the manual is very confusing too. Did you get a good result after developing the first roll Steve_ballayr?

Look to buy a early manual Pen. This is the model with a 28mm f3.5 lens that focuses by scale to 2 feet. The shutter is a 2 blade Copal, with speeds of B-1/25th through 1/200th This model is all manual and has no built in light meter. Set your exposures either by using a hand held meter or a exposure guide (the type that used to be included with every roll of film).

You can find these cameras for about $40~$80 for working samples on ebay, depending on condition. The 2 blade shutter is more often found working than the later 5 blade shutter in the all manual Pen S with the 30mm f2.8 lens. A Pen D, with the faster 32mm f1.9 lens and 5 blade Copal shutter w/B-1/8 through 1/250th are fairly common and can be operated all manually.

If you are not used to setting exposure manually or estimating distance and focusing manually don't fret, these things can be learned.

I've been shooting viewfinder Pen half frame cameras since 1971 and have used all the models. By far the most reliable is the early model with the 2 blade shutter.

If the shutter fires when you select f-stops (this was designed for flash), but when selecting an ISO value the red signal does not appear in the viewfinder in low light, something has stuck or is out of place in the automatic exposure mechanism.

You can still use the camera in "manual" by selecting the f-stops, it will fire at 1/40 so hold it steady.

There is a repair thread that you may want to look up. Mostly for fun, because these cameras are not expensive and you might be better off looking for a working one.