Olympus PEN E-P1 - will you buy it or not?

john_graham5

<p>Just for interest same I would like to see how many people will consider to buy the Oly PEN or have already baught it and who will definitely not do it.<br>

Therefore please just wite "yes" or "no".<br>

You do not have to provide any reasons for your answer but of course you can if you want to.<br>

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the results!<br>

John</p>

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Nope, not this one. I applaud Olympus for taking the chance and I hope they make a bundle. I also hope other manufacturers are listening to the buzz in the serious-amateur world and will follow suit with their own versions. I think subsequent models will be even more desirable if Olympus listens to feedback from customers and implements their suggestions. A built in optical viewfinder would be nice even at the expense of perhaps a wider body. By trying to keep close to the Pen-F dimensions I think they limited themselves for nostalgic reasons. I have still not read a comprehensive review so its too early to tell what the strengths and weaknesses are. High ISO performance is obviously going to make or break the camera, since this is the area non-slrs have traditionaly struggled with. The comparison to the Leica M is going to be inevitable and I think most of us are hoping that the EP series will be the new 'Everyman's Leica". If they can emulate that swiss-watch feel and give us noise friendly images up to ISO 3200, they will have the makings of a legend. But for now, I'll wait for the next model and let others enjoy the prestige of first ownership.</p>

<p>Some of the video clips I have seen from this camera were horrible. Whites were really blown out. To be fair it could have been operator error. My Lumix LX3 need -2/3 EV when shooting video to tame highlights.<br>

Like Milo I applaud their step and await reviews, but I'm leery of a Rev. A product. I would have wished for a 17/2 lens with a 4/3 sensor.</p>

<p>No. I find the Panasonic GH1 to be a much better photography tool although it is slightly bigger and not nearly as good-looking as the EP1. If EP1 were to include an EVF and a vari-angle screen, it may lose the compactness that makes it so charming. However, I will be watching because I am sick and tired of the increase in weight and bulk with the introduction of every new D-SLR from Nikon (and most other manufacturers).</p>

<p>I think the DSLR / SLR design metaphor is tired. Anyone who's shot a good rangefinder, Leica, Voigtlander, or Canon, knows the photographic advantage of a bright frame viewfinder compared to reflex system. Same with APS vs most 4/3 and FF vs APS...the bigger field of view is a big advantage. And an optical finder is inherently brighter than prism, just as prism is inherently brighter than mirror box, and they're both closer to "reality" than any EVF...some photographers want to be in best possible visual contact with their subjects.<br>

EP-1 isn't designed for bug/flower photos, it's obviously designed substantially for people-pics.</p>

<p>No, not yet. Eventually yes.</p>

<p>The camera itself is beautifully made from metal and the 17mm lens seems just as solid. But the viewfinder is not nearly up to the same standard. It is a big piece of plastic, even wobbles a bit left to right due to thin plastic leg and has quite bad distortion as well. I would much rather buy the Sigma DP2 finder, or any similar solidly built around 35mm finder. But Olympus insists on selling the camera as a package. If I could just buy the body and 17 lens, with discount for the missing finder, I would do so. It does not make sense to buy them separately as it would cost more than the whole three piece set, and I do not want to buy that finder. As it is, I will probably wait for a few months and then buy it secondhand. Or wait for the next version that might come with a built in finder for the 17 lens.</p>

<p>Yes (already ordered). </p>

<p>May replace the Olympus viewfinder with a Voigtlander 28/35 viewfinder I bought to attach to my D-Lux 3, which I've since sold (I never did attach the viewfinder). Looking for a digital camera that is the size of my Leica MP, with a decent sensor and IQ, and a smaller price tag.</p>

<p>Michael J Hoffman</p>

<p>No, although it looks very interesting! I did consider it seriously tho because i've decided i need a P&S to carry around just in case, but the EP1 is not really that, is it. Having only just bought a E-520, i feel a EP1 would be a waste of money (esp considering the cost). Don't get me wrong, I am happy to pay for quality, but the EP1 is too close to what i have now in the E-520. I am looking at a MJU 1040, something in that range.</p>

<p>Ask me again after I've actually tried it. Otherwise, my qualified answer would be "Yes" if I was financially in a position to do so (which I'm not at the moment).</p>

<p>The specs, credible previews and hi-rez samples from folks with hands-on experience show it would fill one very specific need I have for a miniature format camera. I'm looking for a replacement for my faithful "old" C-3040Z, something comparable to my Oly 35 RC, and the E-P1 is the best candidate I've seen in years.</p>

<p>Probably. Score me YES column. It also will fill a perceived need in my work. I think. Will wait until Fall. Am not inclined to pre order, Want to hold and look and fiddle a little. I made a mistake in ordering the E 30 from reviews (camera Wrotniak raved about too), and confess that I decided to send it back to NYC within a week, just didn't grab me the way I thought it would . Nice enough camera though . Highly personal buys entailing some money for those that are finicky. You know the language. Man-machine interface. and all that horsehockey :-) gs</p>

<p>Qualified no. That said I must be in the position that many others are. There seems to be little chance, save for a long car trip, that I would ever be able to actually see and hold one. The days of a selection of cameras being available to see and touch before a buying decision are over. Now it would be read the reviews, chuck out $900, wait a week and hope for the best. Nope, ain't gonna happen.</p>

I'll wait for EP2 with EVF and flash. Camera phones can have flash, why can't it? No EVF means it's virtually impossible to

shoot in bright light, and as I'm also long-sighted, I have to hold the camera at arms length. Not good for shake-free

pictures.

Later I'll also wait for M43 70-300. Then it would make a superb lightweight birding system.

<p>FWIW, I tried the 17/2.8 lens on my Panasonic G1 (with the latest firmware ver. 1.3). The AF speed of this combo was essentially the same as the E-P1&17/2.8 combo, which I found slower than the G1&14-45 kit (with the latest firmware 1.1) combo.</p>