Olympus OM2 Spot Programme

John Seaman

<p>Spot and programme were magic words in the 1980's when people started to expect clever cameras, and funny looking graphs used to appear in the magazines, extolling the virtues of one camera's programme versus another. The OM2 Spot Programme is definitely a modern film camera in this respect, having programme, auto and manual/spot modes. I bought this one at a local antiques market, together with the winder, a 50mm f1.4 lens with its original hood, and a Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 macro lens.</p><div>00axfN-500871684.jpg.3880fa04788b90486db639b1870f8feb.jpg</div>

<p>It's not really an OM2 at all, having a fixed flash shoe unlike the rather fragile removable shoes of the earlier OM's. There's a secondary mirror under the main mirror which causes rather an odd sound when it flips up. I'm not sure what it does. The lever around the light on the front controls the self timer and thankfully switches off the beeper.<br>

Heres the top of the camera, it's quite simple really. The button on the side of the lens mount is for illuminating the viewfinder display.</p><div>00axfY-500873584.jpg.71888878c760e363f05c933a2e2cc185.jpg</div>

<p>I used Auto mode which gives you aperture priority. In programme mode you have to set the lens to minimum aperture, and the camera sets both aperture and speed. In manual/spot mode, the microprism area at the centre of the screen defines the metering area, and you have to match a bar against a couple of markers in the finder to set exposure.</p><div>00axfj-500873784.jpg.714a696690abeb775b49a09c448c59b0.jpg</div>

<p>Last one - some signs and an old wall. I must put a decent film through it at some point and take more care with the macro shots. I've got a Vivitar Macro Teleconverter which gives variable magnification up to 1:1, which would be an interesting addition - the lens goes up to 1:2 otherwise.<br>

Thanks for looking.</p><div>00axfq-500875784.jpg.324f3d13e1da91498c8c9635848e1666.jpg</div>

<p>I owned the Tamron 90mm for long. I always enjoyed it a lot. Eventually I sold it (as faulty) because I noticed something weird in the lenses (spots) and because I needed a macro lens for digital, but this Tamron would always create some hot-spot in the centre of the image with sensors.</p>

<p>Nice - The "OM-2" name is a bit misleading, but I suppose "OM-4 Light" wouldn't have been a good marketing move. The small "piggyback" mirror is part of the metering light path. The main mirror is semi-silvered. Light passes through, reflects off the piggyback down to the metering cell, which is located at the front floor of the mirror box, facing backwards, so it reads light bouncing off the piggyback or off the film itself. Bear in mind that the circuitry of the OM-2SP and early OM-4s tend to drain the batteries even when the camera is "off", so it's worth taking the batteries out if you're not using the camera.<br>

The Tamron SP 90/2.5 is a great lens - good catch. I missed picking up one of those for $40 a couple of years ago, and I'm still kicking myself.</p>

<p>Thanks for the comments - I think I get the bit about the second mirror now. Yes I was pleased with the Tamron lens, hopefully I can get an adaptor to use it with my other stuff, Sony Alpha mount even?<br>

I got it at Melton market, the dealer saw me looking at a folding camera and asked if I was interested in some kit he had just bought. In a big bag in his car boot were the OM2SP with winder, 50mm and 90mm lenses, also two OM4's, a big Sigma mirror lens, a Vivitar Series I 70/210 and some other quite nice stuff I cant recall. After a bit of haggling I got the OM2SP etc for £90.<br>

I've already got an OM4 but I find the metering system a little too baroque for my rather basic needs.</p>

<p>I am sure you can adapt the Tamron, but I would not use it on digital. It seems that, perhaps because of some reflection rear lens/sensor, you see a bright spot if you stop down. At least, this happened on my Sony NEX-5.</p>

<p>That was a great little camera. I purchased mine at a thrift shop about 20 years ago. it came with a 50mm and a 85mm Olympus lens. I used it for about 2 years then hocked it for a Minolta Auto Focus. The beauty about this camera was it's size and the sharp lenses. I would not think about getting a TPL(Third Party Lens) for this camera, it would ruin the perfect balance. </p>