Olympus OM1MD serial numbers ( Camera Body)

antony_glaser

One problem with OM camera and lens serial numbers is that they are not strictly related to the date of manufacturing. My theory is that -in case of the cameras- a batch of bottom plates WITH serial numbers was produced at one time, which was later mounted to the various bodies in sort of a random order. For example, the black OM-1MD 396902 was produced (finished?) in 09/1974, whereas the OM-1 no. 293262 was produced in 10/1974. All the M-1 cameras were originally non-MD design, but could be modified in the various Olympus service centers to a MD version; the same holds for the early OM-1's. The OM non-MD's were produced from spring 1973 to 09/1974, but the (large scale) MD production started already in 03/1974 and ended in spring 1979 followed by the OM-1N.

Most OM-1's with sn < 277,500 were non-MD, but there are quite a number of non-MD OM-1's in the sn 314,000 to 540,000 range. Also the OM-1 to OM-1N transition covers a very broad serial number range from 1,395,xxx to 1,638,xxx, and a couple of OM-1's with even higher serial number are known. Some of these, however, I think might result from (home made?) repairs where an ugly base plate from an OM-1N was replaced with that of a broken OM-1 (and vice versa).

The chrome and black bodies have different numbers in the sense that there are no chrome and black bodies with the same serial number. I assume that the base plates including serial number were produced before the final finish was applied: some have gotten a chrome one, others (the minority) a black one, thus the serial numbers of black bodies are just interspersed within those of chrome bodies. However, it seems that there were some number blocks, where the majority of cameras were black, but some in between chrome. E.g. 1043704, 1046691, 1051286, 1053465, 1053564 are black, but 1050815 is chrome.

A chrome OM-1 serial number 1210000 was made 1/77, a black body of a similar serial number was made in 10/77. As an OM technician, I started a small database consisting of chrome or black, serial number, production date. OM-1N chrome production starts around 1630000, manufactured early 1979, according to numbers found either in film chamber or on back of pressure plate. John, www.zuiko.com

• 6 years later...