Olympus OM Flash On E-P2 Sensor

harold_gough

<p>I am having an interesting time using T series flash, triggered and metered by my OM4, to obtain images on my E-P2. I wanted to be able to use the TTL metering with my comprehensive T series guns but to obtain digital images.<br>

I am having repeatable success but in what ought to be impossible conditions. Essentially, I cannot set the same exposure (aperture/ISO) on the OM4 as on the E-P2 without getting severe overexposure. I have got some good results but cannot understand why. The results are the same with the E-P2 on shutter priority, manual e.g 1 second, manual bulb.<br>

Essentially, the E-P2 has no control over flash duration or lens aperture, which is manual and stopped down.<br>

I am not looking to be questioned as to why I am doing this but I would welcome technical suggestions as to how far the settings required are from what is intuitive.<br>

Just to anticipate one possible suggestion, exposure compensation is not available in manual mode.<br>

<a href="http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16626">http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16626</a><br>

This project is ongoing.</p>

<p>Would I be correct to assume that you are setting both to the same aperture and ISO, firing the E-P2 with a long shutter speed and hopefully firing the OM4 whilst the E-P2's shutter is still open?<br>

<br />With a one second exposure, you will need to be doing this in near zero light, otherwise the ambient light is going to add significantly to the exposure.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>exposure compensation is not available in manual mode.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>of course not. In manual mode there is nothing to compensate.</p>

<p>"Would I be correct to assume that you are setting both to the same aperture and ISO, firing the E-P2 with a long shutter speed and hopefully firing the OM4 whilst the E-P2's shutter is still open?"<br>

That would be correct for my initial setup. If you see the details via the link, you will see that I got severe overexposure from that.<br>

What did work, and this is bewildering, is that the OM4's lens has to be open by 4 stops wider and the ISO on the OM4 set at 4x that on the E-P2. That is why I posted here.<br>

"In manual mode there is nothing to compensate." You could argue that it might be posssilble just for flash but that is not what I am doing.</p>

<p>I had a look at your posting on the photomacrography site and noted this comment "the film flattening plate gives an approximation to film reflectance". This statement is actually quite incorrect, I suggest you tape a short length of film in the film gate of the OM-4 and repeat your experiment.</p>

<p>...Wayne</p>

<p>"I had a look at your posting on the photomacrography site and noted this comment "the film flattening plate gives an approximation to film reflectance". This statement is actually quite incorrect, I suggest you tape a short length of film in the film gate of the OM-4 and repeat your experiment."<br>

You didn't read the entry where I did just that and showed my assumption, at least for this purpose, to be correct.<br>

It's probably a good idea for responses to be based on the full content of my progress, to date, as recorded in the series of posts.</p>