Olympus OM-2 shutter release problem

riz

I have recently bought a used Olympus OM-2 with Zuiko 50mm/1.8 lens. Very first

roll is in it and I am testing the camera.

I have observed that even on shutter speed of 250, 500, 1000 the shutter takes

bit of a time to get released. And couple of times it got stuck and I had to

release by reset button.

Is this a problem with the camera?

Hi James, when I check the batteries by indicator there is no sign of weak battery. I will try installing new set and will check.

But please tell me on 250 spped is the shuuter release in flash or does takes couple of seconds?

It should never take time for the shutter to release. You press the shutter button and the camera takes the picture (shutter opens) immediately. Make sure you're not in "auto" mode. You want the camera set to "manual" mode. Make absolutely certain you have fresh 1.5 volt SILVER-oxide batteries, NOT alkaline. I've seen freshly bought batteries test good in the camera, only to really be less than "new" and cause problems. Before loading film into the camera, and after you are sure the camera has fresh batteries, Set the camera to "manual" then select different shutter speeds and test fire the shutter. 1/15th or 1/30th second speed should sound longer than 1/500th. If all speeds sound the same, then there's a shutter problem, but I think what you need are the correct fresh batteries.

One other possibility: I'm not sure from your description, but in cameras of this age, sometimes the mirror gets stuck in the up position for a moment (it sticks to a bit of foam rubber in front of the focusing screen). In these cases, the shutter has already opened and closed, it's just the mirror hanging up the causes the impression of a delay. It's not very common in OM cameras, because they have less foam up there than most other brands, but it may be worth looking at.

One other unique thing about Olympus: if you're observing the camera's behavior in AUTO mode, without film in the camera, the actual speeds it delivers will be much slower than what is indicated in the viewfinder. This is because the AUTO meter is trying to read light reflecting off of the film, and if there is no film in the camera it only sees the black pressure plate. But with film in the camera it should behave normally.

I think it was mistake on my part. I have just checked in Manual mode and its working fine. The shuuter is getting released at the blink of seconds in 500 and 1000 speeds. May be at that time I observed that thing in Auto mode.

Thank you James, George, and Richard.

There are about a dozen different things that can cause shutter lock in an OM-2/2N. . Start first with 2 fresh batteries of the correct type. Use silver oxide only (camera was designed around them, before the creation of alkaline or lithium cells). Use 357, SR44W, G13, MS76, KS76. You should get a steady red battery test light. If light is blinking it means batteries are weak. No light means batteries are dead. If with a steady light you still get shutter lock, you camera needs service. John. 30 years of Olympus OM Service. www.zuiko.com

Thanks John. Its great to know that you have been in OM service for thirty years. Keep it up. I would have happy to have my camera serviced from you, but, I am too far from you, theare are oceans in between. Good luck.

Can any one please advise me how to test the metering of my OM-2 in Auto mode.

Looking forward.

In auto mode, a lens must be mounted and test film loaded (or something gray at the film plane to reflect light back.) There are 2 cells in the bottom of the mirror box that read light off either the curtains (1/45th through 1/1000) or the film (2 minutes through 1/45th). There are also 2 cells under the top cover pointing at the focus screen which provide meter needle readings. Point camera at an evenly lit wall, turn f stop so needle points to "1" and fire shutter. Shutter should stay open for approx. 1 second. This is only a very basic test and will not indicate if your camera is accurate or not. John, www.zuiko.com