Olympus OM-10 shutter problem.

mark_ve

I think I have a problem with the shutter of my OM-10. I have the

feeling that it stays open to long. When the camera is on auto-mode

and the indicator shows for instance 1/250 it 'feels' like at most

1/30 or 1/60. And now that I have develop the roll with which i

encountered this problem, it turns out that some pictures are very

over-exposed. So I guess my assumption is right.

But does any one knows what can cause this problem? Could it be the

battery, which is in it for quite a long time?!

The OM-10 is well known for having oil migrate onto the shutter magnets which cause them to stick open. Only a CLA by a repair tech can cure it. The cleaning can sometimes equal the value of the camera, but it is not avoidable, I'm afraid. The right way to check an OM's "Auto" mode is with film in the camera, which you did have, so it does sound like sticky shutter magnets.

Mark

This is a common problem with the OM10, and is relatively simple to fix yourself, if you are careful and handy with tools.

Remove the lens and carefully raise the mirror and hold it up with tape - I use electrical insulation tape from the bottom of the mirror across the top of the prism.

Carefully prise the lower cover/floor of the mirror box up and out - raise the front first and then pull it uot in a forward direction. Again be carefull, there may be some insulating foil stuck to the underside - prise this off with a thin knife blade.

The shutter electro-magnet will be visible at the front of the mirror box floor if your OM10 is an early model, towards the rear if it is a later model. Using a fine brush or a Q-tip, swab the contacts with a small amount of iso-propyl alcohol or lighter fluid and dry (soak up the residue) with lens tissue.

This should cure the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, Mark - didn't pick this up -

Don't know - I haven't any experience with the PC, but I can tell you that the mirror box floor cover of the PC isn't just a push fit - there are two very small posi-drive screws that require a right-angle screw-driver. (Same as OM20)

• 2 years later...

This mail is for Graham Serreta.

Graham, although it is some considerable time this this query was posted, I have suffered from the shutter problem described for years with my OM10. I am competent with tools and so have begun. I have removed the shutter magnet cover from the floor of the camera and find this exposes a small pc board with surface mount and discrete components. The metering lens is visible, seems to take its light from reflection off the film as it points backwards towards the shutter. The electromagnet coil is just visible towards the rear, and there are fragile gold contacts towards the front which take the physical form of gold wire, say 1/2 inch long by a few thou thick.

Looking at this it is difficult to see which contacts need the cleaning process ? I can see the tiny mechanical action which takes place when the shutter operates, but no clear contact pir opening and closing, which presumbly takes place to open, then close the shutter.

Can you zero me in a little more specifically ??

I expect I could see better with the bottom cover off, but am reluctant to try this as it seems to be carrying a bearing for part of the mechanics, and I would worry I might have a re assembly problem.

Hoping you can help,

Robert

• 3 years later...

<p>been awhile....but to Robert....I work in electronics (not cameras tho) and Iso-propyl alcohol will not harm any electronic components....as long as it is applied gingerly and swabbed dry, and then allowed to air dry for awhile (ie don't just pour the alcohol on it, dab it with a alcohol dipped q-tip......be sure not to let any of the qtip fibers remain, tho).</p>

<p>So, you can clean the whole thing and have no fear of over doing it. </p>