Olympus EM-1 II lock up with Sigma 50-500mm

jonk

My Sigma 50-500 (Big Ma) works well with my EM-1 Mark 1, but locks up the Mark 2 when I switch on the lens autofocus. I have to take out and re-insert the camera battery to get the camera to work. Any ideas/solutions?

JonK

• 2 weeks later...

From your last response, I guess I can infer that your Sigma 50-500 is a 4/3 mount version and that the adapter is an Olympus brand adaptor. Do you have any AF difficulties using your EM-1 mkII and MMR-3 with any Olympus 4/3 lenses? Does AF work in "S" single focus mode but not in "C" continuous focus mode?

If the EM-1 mkII works well with Olympus 4/3 lenses but not with the Sigma lense, then you can see if Sigma tech support can help.

All my 4/3 lenses (Olympus and Panny-Lica) work well with the adapter. The EM-1 11 freezes (goes black) with the 50-500 attached when I half-press S focus. Since I have to remove the battery to recover, the camera’s software reboots and apparently is the issue.

First check if any of the associated equipment has firmware updates that you have yet to install. You can try talking to Olympus Tech support, but since the Olympus brand camera, adaptor and 4/3 lenses work correctly, they may not have any solutions or advice for the Sigma lens issues. Sigma tech support may also not have any solutions for issues associated with attaching their lens to equipment that it was not designed to work with. Since you don't have anything to lose, I would ask for assistance from both companies.

Best of luck