Olympus E-PL3 VS E-P3

revolver

<p>whats are the inherent differences between these 2 cameras other than the touch screen body grip and internal flash of the P3....<br /><br />seems like pretty much the same camera.<br /><br />internally...what am I missing?<br /><br />thanks</p>

<p>Christopher, I don't have an answer for you, I'm constantly reviewing new additions to this format as well, but I do it over at DPreview.com. Have you tried that? There is a 'comparison' feature there that is pretty handy, too.</p>

<p>The IU is the huge difference. With the ep3, you get a larger touch screen w/ more knobs and buttons. With the epl3, you get a tilt-able lcd, but less buttons. The sensor and AF system is the same in both cameras. The epl3 is slightly more menu driven and slightly smaller in size.</p>

<p>Gup, Yes I use Dpreview ALL the time. its a great resource. I just figured someone here had real life experience. other than the basics body size, that grip and the rear LCD I could find anything significant to justify the $100 difference. I actually like the features of the smaller one better and thats my aim...to have a nice sized sensor, a 18-55 MM lens so that when my DSLR is too much to drag around I wont feel lacking in IQ<br /><br /><br />Leslie, IU??<br /><br /><br />Touch screen is no draw for me or more buttons. I dont mind menu driven features...I guess that narrows it down for me.<br /><br />thank you both for your input</p>

<p>so I used Dp's side by side with the E-PL3 and the P3 next to Nikon cool pix 7700, Canon Gx1 g15, Pentax Ko1<br /><br />I still like the PL3 for my needs. I may go P3 just because its a little longer and I like the idea of the grip but I dont like the non tilting screen and touch.<br /><br />I then went back and compared the P3 PL3, P5,PL5 and other than rear screen resolution of the P5...the PL3 still seems to be the best bang for the buck...<br /><br />seems like an awesome little camera</p>

<p>In either case, you're talking last generation sensor and both bodies have been upgraded substantially with new, much improved sensors. If the cost is the deal and you really want to limit the choice to these two, I'd go for the better ergonomics because image quality should be close to identical, and better ergonomics means the E-P3. Dual control dials means better handling. Even though I am now shooting with the E-M5 I still have my E-P3 around as a backup and have always enjoyed it from strictly a handling standpoint.</p>

<p>I also have a full set of high quality primes and have no problem limiting myself to using just those so staying at ISO 800 or below in even the worst light is no problem. Depending on the lenses you wind up with, either the E-P3 or E-PL3 is going to be limited in the high ISO range with the slower system zooms. You really should try a camera as small as the E-PL3 to make sure you're going to like it as it is tiny.</p>

<p>I am surprised after reading the review of the E-PL3 that the IQ is not so good after ISO400.<br />I think I am more surprised because of the sensor size in that camera...I guess I assumed the bigger sensor would just naturaly gather more light<br /><br />its a 4/3rd sensor and how is that last generation?<br /><br />on the other hand I dont usually shoot in low light situations so this may not even be an issue for me..I ordered it the other day. well see what it is when I get it.<br />thanks</p>

It's a last generation because the current generation is the E-PL5 which uses the newest 16MP sensor. The E-PL3 uses

the same 12 MP sensor they had been using since the Micro system started 3-4 years ago.

Performance of the newest sensor in the E-PL5 is way superior.

You need to read the reviews.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_PEN_E-PL5/verdict.shtml

Much better high ISO performance, you can raise shadow values when converting raw files much more freely without

introducing excess noise. Raw files are much more malable/versatile and if you happen to prefer to shoot JPEG, auto

gradation is useable pretty much all you want. With prior bodies the raising of shadow values by auto gradation meant

way too much noise.

Current sensor technology vs. 4-5 year old technology. The E-PL3 uses a sensor Olympus has been using since at least

as far back as the E5 DSLR. It was way overdue being replaced.

<p>I'll add, last year I moved from the E-P3 to the E-M5, which would be identical to switching to the E-PL5 from the E-PL3. The file quality improvements with the cameras using the new 16MP sensor are revolutionary for Olympus cameras. The old 12MP sensors are quite simply inferior.</p>

<p>There's a reason why cameras like the E-PL3 and E-P3 now sell for the prices they do. The upgraded models are superior in every way. Lower prices are all that will move the older models.</p>

<p>The faster the lenses you own, like the fast f1.4 to f2 primes that will allow you to stay at the base ISO 200 or 400 settings longer, make the older models more viable, but if you plan to use the less expensive slow zooms, meaning more trips up the ISO scale, the newer, better sensors in Olympus cameras like the E-PL5, E-P3, E-M5 and E-PM2 are the cameras you really want to be looking at.</p>

<p>thanks for that review link. I only checked Dpreview.<br /><br />everything after that seemed like a foreign language...lol <br /><br />I dont shoot Raw and I dont use photoshop so basically what I see is what I shoot and I dont change it. its how I shoot. <br /><br />"Current sensor technology vs. 4-5 year old technology. The E-PL3 uses a sensor Olympus has been using since at least as far back as the E5 DSLR. It was way overdue being replaced."<br /><br />^thats disappointing<br /><br /><br />"There's a reason why cameras like the E-PL3 and E-P3 now sell for the prices they do. The upgraded models are superior in every way. Lower prices are all that will move the older models."<br /><br />crap! I thought I got that thing for a song....apparently a sad song <br /><br /><br />I'll check out the other ones you mentioned. <br /><br />Thanks Greg<br /><br /><br /></p>

<p>Christopher, it also depends on what you're used to shooting with. I've been shooting with a 5D2 for quite a few years so I have been spoiled by top quality output. The images from the E-P3 were too much of a step back for me. My new E-PL5 (when not broken) produces lovely images that, although still not as nice as those from my 5D2, more than satisfy me.</p>

<p>If you've been shooting with compacts or a basic DSLR for a while then you may be delighted with what the E-P3 churns out.</p>

<p>Jamie,<br /><br />I have been shooting with a Pentax K100D and a pocket Pentax I10...<br /><br />Its a 6MP dslr but certainly not top of the line. it is a great camera, I love it and it works for me. its a 2006 model I believe.<br /><br />what I am looking for in the E-PL3 is a compact that I can take into places that ban "professional" cameras and not have the small 1/2.3 sensor like most compacts.<br /><br />I did not want to give up sensor size and control over the camera just to have a pocket camera set on auto like a canon elf</p>

<p>I got the E-PL3 today. its a lot bigger in the hand than it looks in the pictures.<br /><br />Seems solid also.<br /><br />I am having great difficultly navigating the Menu's. seems to be a bit of learning curve compared to the Pentax camera's I use.<br /><br />the manual has pages to check thing out on...like iso settings...pg 48...manual only goes to pg31 :(<br /><br />cant seem to find MP either<br /><br />I'll play with it more tomorrow</p>

<p>I picked up a E-P3 to side by side.<br /><br />so far I am not getting the wow factor from the P3.<br />I think I like the feel and performance of the PL3 better so far. I am not seeing a lot of difference in IQ.<br />where I thought the PL3 had some handling issues I dont like the wheel or the sluggish to trippy shutter button.<br />I have fired off a few shots just touching it and that wheel is right under the thumb.<br />the grip is not a deal breaker either. not as important as I thought it might be.<br /><br /><br /></p>

<p>the verdict is in<br /><br />I am keeping the E-PL3. I did not like the handling of the P3 at all.<br />rear screen was brighter and the menu colors were more visually pleasing but the shutter button was very sensitive and the wheel on the back was in the way and changed things inadvertently.<br />IQ to me in auto and P was better in the PL<br /><br />I actually liked the smaller size of the PL3 than the chunkiness of the P3....it was also too Film camerish than the PL<br /><br />thanks for the replies...all opinions are appreciated</p>