Olympus e-300

I can confirm that it only has "slow" USB.

I was disappointed at first, but now find that I rarely plug it in -- I just swap cards. My

portable has a PCMCIA --> CompactFlash reader for the road, and I have a FireWire

CompactFlash reader for the G5 dual at home. Either one makes for AMAZINGLY FAST

downloads!

All told, I love this camera, but I love the lenses more! The 7-14mm is amazing; likewise

the 50mm macro. I also have the 11-22mm, but don't use it much. And with an adaptor, it

takes lots of readily available OM lenses. If you can afford it, skip the "kit" lenses.

I've been waiting a long time for ANYONE to come out with a really fine ultra-wide digital. I

bought the E-300 mainly to go with the 7-14!

The E-300 is listed as "USB 2.0 - full speed (12Mbit@sec)" so it doesn't take advantage of

USB 2.0 "high speed", which is up to 480Mbit@sec (60Mbytes@sec).

Doesn't really matter much. Use a high-speed card reader to download image files instead.

They're available for $20 or so. The difference in download speed is substantial. Few cards

can sustain data transfer at full USB 2.0 high speed datarates, good 60x or better cards

like the Sandisk Ultra II can achieve 9Mbyte@sec download speeds in a high speed reader..

that's about 2 minutes or so where the same card would take approximately 10-15

minutes to download through the camera.

Godfrey

I have never had a problem with CF pins but on of my friends recently had a pin get squashed in her camera. It happens. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You know if you are the sort of person to which this sort of thing happens.

I also almost never use the USB cable for my 20D. I mount the card in a PCMCIA adaptor on my Powerbook.