Olympus 35 RD repair/CLA

megan_saltzman

• 5 weeks later...

The RD was the first compact repair I learned when I went to work for Olympus! I worked on OM-1's for a few months, then our "compact" tech quit, so someone had to take them over. That was just before they sent me to Olympus/LA for training in the "new" OM-2.

Hated RD's at first -- even then, still under warranty, oil from the helicoid grease was migrating into the shutter, necessitating a total and complete disassembly for cleaning. After a few dozen, I finally decided I was going to become proficient in them. After that, they became a challenge, not a chore. I got to where I'd knock them out in less than two hours, easy.

That is the only reliable solution, by the way -- complete and total disassembly, down to the blades. Any less -- flush cleaning, etc. -- and the problem is likely to reoccur. Sort of like the OM-10 sticky shutter magnet, but I digress.

My Kyoritsu EF-511 tester blew up, or I might still be working on them! Anyone know someone with schematics on the EF-511? CRIS says they threw them out.