Olloclip for iPhone 5

Edwin Barkdoll

<p>The OC arrived yesterday and I've played with it a little today. First of all for a phone add-on lens it definitely enhances the iPhone's photographic abilities: macro, wide angle and fisheye. I expect to use it mostly for macro shots although the WA may be handy at times and the fisheye (FE) will prbably see service until it gets boring - fisheye shots wear thin for me aftter a while.</p>

<p>The quality is good, both in construction and optics (remeber tho we're talking about a lens for a phone so image deterioration near edges is noticeable particular with FE). Two complaints so far are 1) the lens caps are more prone to dislodging than I would like; 2) the lens surfaces facing the phone will be difficult to clean if they get dirty.</p>

<p>The OC fits very snugly in a 35mm film canister and, since it will live in my pocket with flashlight, knife, change etc, I will use the canister for extra protection that the included pouch might not provide.</p>

<p>I bought a hard plastic case the other day (that is, no rubber cushioning since I figured that would complicate cutting the case and might lead to a weaker case once it was cut) to cut a place for the OC to fit without having to remove the case.<br>

Attached are shots of the case pre- and post-cutout as well as a macro shot of a Leatherman multitool and a FE shot of one of my dogs taken with the Olloclip.</p>

Test

• 1 month later...

<p>Judging from these results, and others I've seen, I cannot fathom why one would purchase an Olloclip. Now, if you do like the fisheye look, that's all the justification you need. But I don't care for it and I don't care for CA and smudgy edges. The Olloclip itself looks gorgeous - very pretty indeed. Too bad its results don't match its appearance. I would not use one even if it were free.</p>

<p>Regardless of our obviously different opinions on this accessory, thanks for going to the trouble of posting. :-)</p>