Older iMac... add RAM to hold me over?

Hi All -

I've been using a mid-2011 iMac 21.5" 2.5 Ghz i5, with only 4 MB of RAM. It's OK working with 80-100 LR RAW files coming from my Nikon D610, however I am now editing multiple images in Photoshop (sometimes as layers) and performance is obviously way too slow. I am not in a position to purchase a new machine right how, and I am wondering if I can get by maybe for another year upping the RAM on my current machine. Thoughts? If so, recommendations on best sources/prices?

Thanks,

Randy

Thanks. So. Sounds like a healthy ram upgrade is worth doing, yes?

ONLY if the entire image X 3 to 5 it's size totally fits into the RAM you have allocated!

Otherwise, you hit scratch disk and the speed and size of that disk plays a role.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

For what it costs these days, I'd just go ahead and bump it to 16gb. Newer versions of OS X run better on 8gb+ in almost all circumstances, and the difference in cost between 8gb and 16gb is minimal.

I like OWC and have dealt with them a lot, but there's no reason to source RAM for an iMac through them.

The specs are DDR3 SDRAM, PC3-10600, 1333mhz SO-DIMMs. Anything meeting these specs will work fine. You should be fine with faster also(1666mhz).

Your computer has 4 RAM slots, and from the factory it has 2gb sticks in two of the slots. You basically have two options on upgrading. You could buy 4x4gb modules and replace the ones already in the the computer, or you could buy 2x8gb modules and add them along side the ones already there. That would actually give you 20gb total, which IS overkill but should serve you for a while. It will also leave you open to add 2x8gb in the future to get to 32gb if you want.

Ok, I see. I'll need to calculate this.

Yes, otherwise you're simply not going to see the speed increase you'd expect and desire. The difference in RAM vs. Scratch Disk, unless you get a massively large SSD is considerable. More can't hurt, but unless the entire image size at 3X to 5X is stored totally in RAM, you're hitting scratch disk. You can also set PS to show you 'efficiency" in the document dropdown menu in the lower left of each doc. That gives you a decent idea of you're got enough RAM for that doc.

I recall the days when 72MB of RAM for Photoshop was a lot of RAM. In fact I recall running Photoshop 1.0.7 on 8MB of RAM, talk about slow.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

I appreciate the thoughtful replies everyone. Seems it makes sense to upgrade my ram. It may not fully benefit my every working situation, but it should yield a performance upgrade for much of what I doing in LR and several other apps.

Correct. But, as said, check the limits on what kind and size of memory will work with your particular model.

It's easy enough on a mid-2011 iMac.

You have four RAM slots. You can put a module as large as 8gb in each slot. That gives a maximum of 32gb.

The factory configuration is 2x2gb modules, leaving two open slots. If it were me in this situation(and as part of my day job, I have a couple of iMacs of this vintage under my care) I would spend $200 on 2x8gb modules for 20gb total.

There's no real need to get complicated with formulas, and only buying enough to cover current needs may leave them spending even more money in the future if those needs change. OS X will expand to fill the available RAM and will make good use of anything you throw at it, although you do see diminishing returns past a certain point. With current versions of OS X(or MacOS these days) I consider 8gb a practical minimum and 16gb to be a reasonable amount even though it's more than most folks NEED. That's especially true since the OP likely still has a spinner and paging out to the swap file will grind the computer to a halt.

If the OP spends $200 now on 16gb of RAM for a total of 20gb, they will PROBABLY be set for the useful life of the computer. If not, they've left the option open to go to 24gb or 32gb in the future without much trouble.

FWIW, I have 16gb in my MBP and 32gb in my Mac Pro. My MBP is maxed, but I think that I'm at 1/3 or 1/4 the max on the MP. It didn't have any RAM when I bought it second hand, and 8x4gb was a reasonable cost/capacity compromise.

... and now I'm thinking about replacing my internal hd with an ssd. We'll see.

You will see more benefit from that than from the RAM, although the RAM will make itself known when you're shuffling around multiple PS files.

I've done a few HDD replacements and SSD upgrades in this generation of iMac. The first one terrified me, but I've managed to streamline it a bit and can do one in 45 minutes or so now.

Just as a general outline, you pull the glass(it's held on with magnets) and of course put it well out of the way and safe. Once it's out, you have to remove the screws that hold the display in place-there are about a dozen Torx head drivers.

If you follow an online guide like iFixit, they will then have you pull the display panel completely. I consider this a lot of unnecessary work with too many chances to tear the fragile ribbon cables. Instead, I hinge the display up and the top, and by only disconnecting the iSight cable I can prop it up and have plenty of room to get at the hard drive bracket.

To fit an SSD, you will need a 2.5" to 3.5" HDD adapter. These are readily available, and can be had for $10 or less.

One quirk, though, is that if you're fitting a non-Apple SSD, you need to install a temperature sensor to keep the fans from running excessively. OWC is the only source I know of, and they're like $20. It's simple to install-the sensor itself is self-adhesive and you stick it on the drive, while the rest gets plugged in series with the power connector.

If you buy an OWC SSD, I think you can skip that. With that said, I wouldn't buy an OWC SSD-I've installed a few-some at the owners insistence and some in specialty applications where they're the only option available. They're, IMO, overpriced and in my experience generally under perform relative to my favored SSD brands.

Also, I'll add that I generally steer folks toward Samsung EVO SSDs, as I find them both the best quality and the fastest among consumer grade drives. I put my money where my mouth is on this, too, as they're all I use in cases where I don't have an Apple OEM SSD. The 1TB Evo 850 in my laptop is nearly two years old(late May 2016) and a quick check a second ago showed it at 475 mb/s write and 500mb/s read. It was over 500 in both when new, but then it's also a lot more full now. I consider that to still be pretty darn good.

... and now I'm thinking about replacing my internal hd with an ssd. We'll see.

Get an SSD but dedicate it for scratch disk for Photoshop.

Correct. But, as said, check the limits on what kind and size of memory will work with your particular model.

True, but if you go to a site like OWC and others and identify the exact model of your iMac they will tell exactly what RAM you need and how much your system will take. I'm going to guess that your max will be 16 GB makes it easy.

There you go. So any increase from 4 GB the OP has will be helpful, but at least 16 GB will be more useful and 32 would be optimum but will start getting pricey.

These computers have 4 slots, and can take as large as an 8gb module in each one.

That's why I suggested getting 2x8gb modules(which is about $200 at current prices). You can stick them next to the factory 2x2gb and have 20gb total. Down the road, if you NEED 32gb, just pull the factory 2gb modules and replace them with 8gb.

• Like 2

So I easily installed the two 8gb memory sticks from OWC into my iMac, giving me a total of 20 gb along with the original 4 GB, and wow, I am simultaneously editing several 24mb photos between LR and PS with ease. The speed increase is great. Best $160 I've spent in a long while.. Can't believe I didn't do this sooner. Thanks for all the advice!