Older DSLR recommendation.

mark45831

My Wife has decided that she would like a DSLR, Many times her hobbies are a temporary thing and then she moves on to the next, So I am looking at some of the older models to see how long she wants to stay with it and then may be move up to a more recent one. How far back would you go and be certain that Batteries, cards will still be available? I have seen a couple clean D90's I can get for about $130 from a good dealer.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The D90 cannot drive The aperture of E lenses and has compatibility with AF-P lenses. It also uses the old EN-EL3e batteries and cannot meter with AI lenses. Only you can decide whether those are issues.

I don’t recall off hand which Nikon bodies you have. You may want something that is more compatible with your lenses, batteries and memory cards.

E.g. the D7000, 7100 and 7200 all have dual SD slots, use EN-EL15 batteries and can meter with AI lenses.

• Like 1

The D90 cannot drive The aperture of E lenses and has compatibility with AF-P lenses. It also uses the old EN-EL3e batteries and cannot meter with AI lenses. Only you can decide whether those are issues.

I don’t recall off hand which Nikon bodies you have. You may want something that is more compatible with your lenses, batteries and memory cards.

E.g. the D7000, 7100 and 7200 all have dual SD slots, use EN-EL15 batteries and can meter with AI lenses.

my older bodies are D70s and D300s, I doubt she would want to use any manual lens, I have several AF DX lens

Well, if you have EN-EL3e batteries for the D300s, those also work on the D90 and the earlier D70(s), but the old EN-EL3 and EN-EL3a cannot be used in the D90 and D300s.

I second Dieter’s comment that I would get a D7x00, although the D90 also has a body AF motor to drive AF lenses.

I likr BeBu’s thinking. Also, with your old bodies, you’ve got the batteries and the CF cards already - whereas with my suggestion, new batteries and SD cards are needed. I just wouldn’t want to get stuck with 6 or 12MP anymore. What else have you got? Maybe time for house cleaning and a major upgrade? Z50 or even Z5 maybe?
  • Like 1

Older cameras are for experienced photographer and not well suited for beginner. I would certainly recommend against an old camera for beginner especially one that tends to give up.

I don't know about your wife but many pick up a hobby because their friends have that hobby. And then when they found they are not doing well with the hobby they would compare the tools. If her camera is even 1 generation older than others it would be the reason why she doesn't succeed.

• Like 1

In 2021, I would prefer a camera with AF fine tune, which would eliminate the D90 and earlier cameras. I tried replacing my D90 with a D7000 back in the day, but actually liked the D90 better and flipped the D7000 for a small profit. Maybe I did not work with the 7000 enough

I would recommend a camera later than the D7000 in general.

As Charles mentioned, the 5000 series is the best value 'old' DSLR for me.

I have 6 x D5100s and 2 x D5300s (and a single D7200 and D500) which I use for teaching small groups of MA students.

They get to see/use the fold out screen of the 5000 series for low angle shooting and the twin command dials of the 7000 series for a better UI.... and the sports shooting of the D500.

The 3000 series was (is?) a bit too dumbed down for my liking.

• Like 1

the 5000 series is the best value 'old' DSLR for me

As already mentioned, if the OP's lenses are indeed AF and not AF-S, then the 3x000 and 5x000 aren't really options for their lack of an internal AF motor. And their lack of an Ai follower tab renders them meterless with non-CPU (aka non-chipped) manual focus lenses.

Many good points made so far, the problem is we really have zero to go on n terms of what YOU care about: all the good suggestions mean absolutely squat if they have no relevance to your preferences (never mind we've yet to hear any of your wife's reasoning, and she's the one who is going to use the eventual camera).

Personally, I think theres a little too much hand-wringing about archaic batteries on discussion forums. If you're investing in a camera very seriously for the long term, perhaps you want to go with something past the arbitrary Japanese govt cutoff in design configuration, otherwise its not a huge deal. Any used DSLR of any vintage can stick you with a near dead battery that needs replacing: if so, does it matter which battery model it is? Plenty of "ancient" D700s are still being used, and you don't hear much whining about batteries, so I wouldn't be put off by that issue if a D90 etc seems appealing in other ways.

Some of the considerations posted so far may only be valid if you or your wife feel they apply to you or you have a vested interest, i.e.,

How much do you want to spend? If a relatively disposable amount like your proposed $130 D90, nearly all other questions fade into insignificance. Worst case scenario, she tires of it after three months and you sell it off at a slight loss with no impact on your own work one way or another. But if budgeting higher:

Do you want it to be a body you can absorb into your own kit if she changes her mind or gets bored? If so, the DSLR model will need to be able to use any lenses in your own kit. Check for compatibility re screw drive for AFD or the latest VR or E aperture control if this matters. Maybe choose a model that fills a need in your own kit for backup, size/weight, etc.

Do you in fact want to be able to share memory cards and batteries with her? If so, limit your options to a body that can share these.

Perhaps more significant: what's going on in your wife's mind? What prompted this sudden interest in getting a DSLR? Is it inspired by your work, or something her friends are doing? Has she handled your existing cameras and expressed a preference, or mentioned a friend's camera she likes? This can be important with a "neophyte" because they may have formed a bond with a specific camera belonging to someone else that may impact their enjoyment of a model picked for themselves. I'm thinking of easily overlooked specs like viewfinder size: if she's only handled upper-tier cameras, the smallest finder she might tolerate is the D90/D200 prism.The "amateur" D5000/D3000 series have tiny porroflex tunnel finders by comparison: not as pleasant or comfortable or bright.

Is she likely to want to change lenses much, borrowing yours, or is she likely to just stick with a kit zoom? If the former she may require a screw AF drive, favoring the D90 or D7000, if no she can get away with the smaller lighter D5000.

Does she care about size/weight? If yes, the D90 is probably as big/heavy as you'd want to go. The featherweight D5000 may be preferable if she doesn't mind the tradeoff of smaller viewfinder.

What subjects does she want to pursue? Travel, street, portraiture in daylight or more available light/night shots? If mostly brighter light she can use a DSLR from the stone age, if she's planning to shoot in murky restaurants she's gonna need a newer sensor (D7000 or D5000 series). Is she interested in fast moving subjects requiring quick responsive AF? If no, again stone age will do fine, if yes she'll want something with near full screen AF tracking points (D7000 series). Will she be printing larger than 8x10 or sharing files with snarky pixel-peeping friends? Then the more MPs the better. Otherwise, almost any DSLR will do fine.

In my own life, when people ask me for help choosing a 1st time used DSLR, I always make them commit to a budget and work up from there. Next I ask them to truthfully answer to what degree they will be comparing their camera to other photographers in terms of age, "chic", and pixel count: those running with a pack will feel more secure if they spend a little more to approximate the pack's average resolution and AF capability. If it will be mostly private use for their own criteria, there is more flexibility where an older "outmoded" model may be more suitable and allow budgeting for a better or additional lens, or moving up to FX vs DX.

The D90 or D200/D300 can be a much better alternative to the D5200 for some users, or the D700 vs a D7200. In the hands of someone prepared to work within some limitations, even the ancient D40 can be a delightful, take-anywhere, incredibly affordable alternative that provides consistently excellent results. I've probably shot more "keepers" with less fuss from that old chestnut than I have with any of my later upgrades to it. Horses for courses: if you're able to grasp the concept of a single central AF point, don't plan much shooting in available darkness, and won't be printing billboards, there is a wealth of older very cheap highly usable cameras to choose from. When or if you outgrow them, theres little to lose from the minimal investment.

Edited by orsetto
  • Like 2

Now that I think about it I do have the 17-55 2.8Dx 35mm 1.8 Dx and the 55-200 Dx. I am using the Z7 with D750 backup, If I could talk her into the Z7 II I would give her my D750 :-), But I have to be carful, she doesnt know how much I paid for the Z7 and the 70-200 2.8 FL, lol. But I just bought her a new car so I think I am safe for now.
  • Like 1

Now that I think about it I do have the 17-55 2.8Dx 35mm 1.8 Dx and the 55-200 Dx. I am using the Z7 with D750 backup, If I could talk her into the Z7 II I would give her my D750 :), But I have to be carful, she doesnt know how much I paid for the Z7 and the 70-200 2.8 FL, lol. But I just bought her a new car so I think I am safe for now.

Non sequitur, but is anybody in this forum not a retired rich white person? (I assume ShunCheung is two of those things. I am none of them.)

If I could talk her into the Z7 II I would give her my D750 :), But I have to be carful, she doesnt know how much I paid for the Z7 and the 70-200 2.8 FL, lol. But I just bought her a new car so I think I am safe for now.

Since initially you were talking about a $130 used camera, I didn't think suggesting a Z7 (or Z6) would be appropriate, but actually your Z7 with some 24-70/4 S would be a pretty good starting point, since it is relatively compact, and then you'll get a Z7 II out of this. As far as being "safe" goes, as long as she is not aware of the other women ... :cool:

Non sequitur, but is anybody in this forum not a retired rich white person? (I assume ShunCheung is two of those things. I am none of them.)

I was born in Beijing, China with two Chinese parents, and I am still working as a software engineer in the Silicon Valley. Being "rich" is all relative. I am willing to spend money on cameras, but I am cheap on other things. We have active members who are Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese (other than me) ..., but the names/ pseudonyms may not be apparent.

• Like 1

My first DSLR was a Pentax K100d, taking SD cards & AA batteries, both still available over 10 years after I got it.

I've also picked up a couple of Sigma SD14s much the same age and found batteries & memory simple to track down. (I believe the battery here was commonly used in video cameras)

I don't think age is too much of a determining factor here. If the battery/memory type is widely used it won't be an issue. If you get something where the battery was only used for that one body then things could be much more difficult.

If you get something where the battery was only used for that one body then things could be much more difficult.

Fans of the Fuji S5 DSLR could mutter a few curses on that score. ;)

Bespoke, very unique Fuji APS-C sensor housed in a mostly-Nikon D200-inspired body, yet Fuji (pointlessly) modified the battery circuit just enough that it won't take Nikon's standard EN-EL3e battery or use Nikon chargers (requires proprietary chipped Fuji NP-150 clone of Nikon's battery and Fuji BC-150 charger). Really impedes the present-day utility of what is otherwise a very special camera with very interesting sensor.

• Like 1