Old TLR on Antique Roadshow

Does anyone know the model of that old TLR at the beginning of PBS's "Antique Roadshow"?

It is passed down from generation to generation, with a little girl lying on the floor. With the camera also on the floor,

and the Girl says, "Say Cheese!" While a Yashica has the shutter and aperature dials on the sides of the 2 lenses.

This one has two round circles, (I'll call them that for now) one,at each end of the name plate.This shows you one

advantage mechanical cameras have!

I'll have to watch the intro to Antiques Roadshow when it's on here, but could it be that the camera was a late CdS-metered Autocord and the two round circles you saw were the CdS meter and the battery holder, which are on either side of the nameplate? Just a guess.

It's not in the show proper, but in one of the "non-ads" from one of the "non-sponsors". It's shown in use by an ancestor, I think, and then in play by the little girl.

There's a rerun of the Tues show on the local PBS station tonight. If I can catch it, I'll try to look more closely.

thanks for all the responses so far. At first, it shows 2 photos of women holding the camera, then, the girl is playing with it on the floor. I am only guessing at this point, but, it seems as if she is taking a picture of herself,(with a mirror) a doll or something else. Then, a woman says something like," Antiques are not the only thing passed down from generation to generation" Meaning (maybe being a photographer?) is, too.

As a violin passed down would have someone in each generation learn the violin. When, I saw that camera, I thought that of all the TLR's I've seen, not one looked like that.

Jack, I saw that show. The picture was an orginal framed old Kodak ad. What made it valuable was the fact that it was an original print. The camera looked like a large Kodak folding camera as far as I could tell. I saw the show twice and that's my recollection. It did not look like a TLR.

thanks, Robbie. The camera did have a waistlevel finder. The problem is with PBS starting their 2 weeks Festival, the show won't be on for a while. So, when someone does see the show again, and is able to identify it. This post will be on "page 9"!

I wish PBS had their shows on the internet. I know hulu.com has many new and old shows, but, not this one. And, I guess if they were on the internet, they would't have the ads.

Robbie, you're right about the one ON the show, but I'm pretty sure that the one the OP is talking about is the one in the Liberty Mutual (thank you, Jack) non-ad.

I love NPR and PBS, but the claim of TV without advertising is a little disingenuous.

Thanks for all the responses. I should change my original post, to the (2 circles) are in the front of the faceplate, not the ends as in the sides of the camera. It would be like having a TLR such as a Rollei, and putting a quarter each on either side of the Rollei name at the front. Hope that makes sense!

I have two Foth Flex's that sound a bit like this, one has a focal plane shutter, both are TLR's, but superficially look like a Rollei, and they have knobs in seemingly odd places, Shutter speeds are on the right lower side with a dial, somewhat similar to SM Leicas. Rather unique design. The two lenses extend through the front leather covered plate. It has two red windows, one on the back, and one on the bottom. Rudolphe Skolaude is the name on the brass plate, and seems to be the dealer.

The technology looks very much like early 20th century, pretty complex actually.

Jack, it still looks (though hardly conclusive) to me like a Minolta Autocord CdS and the pictures here aren't enough to change my mind - the big knob on the left could be the metering knob. I suppose when I see the Liberty Mutual commercial I might be able to ID it.

I'm going to look again for clues to the date - obviously if it's pre-war or early postwar, it's probably German

or maybe American?

Here are some pictures of what was claimed to be the most complete ever listing of available amateur cameras in

1939 by Popular Photography magazine (May issue). At least this may help to eliminate some cameras.<div>00QQOJ-62419884.jpg.0ccfbedde05ec83e87b074ea9f8f01b7.jpg</div>

JDM, Am not sure of the smallest Gowlandflex, but I recall he made some big ones, I came close to buying one a couple of times and fate intruded. ;-) I will do a search one of these days.

The more you look, the more TLR's seem to come out of the woodwork.

I sure put a lot of film through my Rollei.

I wonder if anyone is still following this, but for the dead-enders, the desperate-to-know, the hardy few, we band of brothers, ... where was I?

Oh yes, my one and last effort to capture off the screen. I still coldn't get a good image of the right side of the camera, but here is an improved version(s) of the center picture - apparently someone from the late 60s or early 70s. Probably puts the initial date as post WWII? So I think that the Japanese TLRs are definitely in the mix.<div>00QRoQ-62905584.jpg.97431c215e5ee37852543a29823e75d9.jpg</div>