Old stuff

The biggest single reason, Hans, is that cans cost more to produce than plastic bags, even with a cardboard outer box (and Kodak, at least, puts a dozen bags in each box, with the box doubling as a display unit).

Additionally, plastic bags don't corrode (either inside or outside) from exposure to chemicals, providing the material is chosen properly, aren't (as) subject to physical damage in handling that might break the seal and let the contents escape or deteriorate, and don't require high heat to close (though modern cans can be closed without soldering).

Same arguments apply to cans or glass bottles vs. plastic bottles for liquids like DD-X and HC-110.

Well, rectangular boxes are more optimized for shipping than round cans are. Campbell's uses cans because the nature of the product requires a stronger container -- the loss in packing efficiency is counterbalanced by having less damaged product to replace. If someone discovered a way to store liquid in a box container that costs as much as a can, we'd all be eating soup by the cube. :)

It would be nice if these products could be available again. I really hate having to mix up paper developers. What about Photographer's Formulary? They could offer 51-D, 52-D, 53-D, 54-D, 55-D, 56-D, 57-D, 59-D, etc., and have almost every paper developer type covered. Defender/duPont formulas are the most complete.

If anyone wants these, I can scan for you.

Artcraft Chemicals will mix up formulas for you in neatly weighed bags. Just send them the formula, and they'll quote you a price. I was going to do that for Michael Smith's Amidol formula and they sent me a price, which was reasonable, for mixing the kit, but eventually just decided to buy a scale and measure it myself.

http://www.artcraftchemicals.com/