Old russian enlarger question

<p>Hey guys. I just went looking through the attic and found some of my dads old darkroom gear. We have an old russian Krokus 4 enlarger and a few film holders for it but one ot them is kinda strange. All of the holders are polish PZO branded ones. The one thats curious look more like a LF film holder. Theres a hole on the bottom but on top theres not. so light cant go through. Also theres a dark slide on the side like a nomral LF or MF film holder. Inside theres a metal frame that holds the film and has spring on the bottom just like a normal MF camera back. So my question is: What is this used for? the top isnt removable to theres no way for the light from the enlarger to expose anything. </p>

<p>PZO was a Polish company in Warsaw.<br>

Using enlargers as reproduction cameras for flat stuff like prints or paintings for which you had no negative was pretty common in the past. One approach was using just the enlarger's column with a camera mount attached to it but it is hard to get a camera balanced spot on over your original - usually it is rotated a bit. Also an enlarger has a lens bellows close up focusing... why buy all of that again? - Making a film holder for reproductions seems cheaper and environment friendlier.</p>

<p>I didnt buy it my dad used to take photo courses in high school so he got the enlarger so thats where i got all the stuff from. Its strange tho focusing must be very hard for taking photos with the enlarger.<br>

Ps the springs on the enlarger face up so the film is pointed downwards so its not meant for contact prints of film </p>

<p>Some varied Googling™ (<a href="http://searchengineland.com/guide/how-to-use-google-to-search">link</a>) for "Krocus" + enlarger, PZO, and other terms which you find in searching will show up manuals and discussion about these items. They are out there, you just need to get model numbers, etc, off the various items. Lots of manuals are posted on line, and other are available in copies or original for for a few currency units.</p>

<p>I used to operate a Leitz repro monster at school. There I had a slider that either shut off the light and projected a line drawing neg on the subject to make focusing easy or it put the projector off and placed a finderless M body above the lens.<br>

I guess you can focus your Krokus with a neg in the carrier and replace that one with the film holder, once you are done.<br>

I'd consider that approach more ergonomic than climbing on a chair or ladder to use a pentaprism-findered camera bolted to your enlarger column.</p>