Old Nikon lenses with new DSLR camera

welenbaul93

So, I'm in the process of researching to pick up my first SLR/DSLR camera. I've been meaning to graduate from point-and-shoot for some time. I've been advised that both Nikon and Canon are good.

My question: My dad has a Nikon SLR, probably 30-40~ish years old, that he doesn't use much any more. He has a decent number of lenses for it. My suspicion is that these old lenses wouldn't connect properly to newer cameras, but I don't know enough about the brand to say that for sure. Can anyone advise?

He's in the process of finding the model numbers for the lenses, if that would help.

So, I'm in the process of researching to pick up my first SLR/DSLR camera. I've been meaning to graduate from point-and-shoot for some time. I've been advised that both Nikon and Canon are good.

My question: My dad has a Nikon SLR, probably 30-40~ish years old, that he doesn't use much any more. He has a decent number of lenses for it. My suspicion is that these old lenses wouldn't connect properly to newer cameras, but I don't know enough about the brand to say that for sure. Can anyone advise?

He's in the process of finding the model numbers for the lenses, if that would help.

Yes the model number for all of the lenses he has would help.

The principal concern is incompatibility of pre-AIS lenses, which couple the aperture setting with the camera with an ear-like tab on the top of the lens. AIS lenses may have a tab for backwards compatibility, but primarily use a notch in the lens base which couples with a tab in the lens mount. Pre-AIS lenses do not have this cutout, won't fit the camera and may damage the mount. Some Nikon SLRs, including the F3, have a folding tab which puts it out of harm's way.

I don't have any pre-AIS lenses, so my concert is with image quality. Many lenses which performed well on film are barely adequate for a 12 MP digital camera, especially wide open. Prior to digital cameras, Nikon lenses were seldom used wide open, due to focusing difficulty and poor sharpness and vignetting. That may not matter when you're just starting out, but once you use modern lenses, there's no going back.

Prior to digital cameras, Nikon lenses were seldom used wide open, due to focusing difficulty and poor sharpness and vignetting.

Prior to digital cameras, we often needed to use lenses wide open, because film required more light than modern sensors.

I do agree with Ed that modern lenses frequently are far better than those of the past, but there are many photographic situations when older lenses will do just fine. Sometimes I find the look they produce to be preferable. (Examples: Nikon's 85mm f/1.4D and 135mm f/2 DC.) A very good source on old lenses is Bjørn Rørslett's site (link).

• Like 5

I have used old Nikon AI lenses for years with fine results on DF, D750, D7200 and D810. Using two cameras at events, my old 135 2.8 or 180 2.8 will often outperform the 24-120 f4 or 28-300. I use a 55 1.2 for night shooting, again to good effect. Well worth pursuing, and good fun to boot. If you have pre AI lenses, they can be converted to AI at modest cost. Contact AI Conversions.
  • Like 3

1. Why are you considering DSLR? It is a dead end. Starting now, mirrorless is the way to go.
  2. All Nikon lenses from that period can be used on mirrorless cameras from Sony, Canon and Nikon etc. by using an adapter.
  3. "30-40 years ago" includes the beginning of Nikons venture into auto focus. If there are AF lenses among your fathers collection, be aware that they will NOT auto-focus on mirrorless cameras and probably not on NIKON DSLRs except perhaps the more expensive models.
  4. Modern lenses are generally better on digital cameras, but you can have lots of fun with old lenses on modern cameras and achieve good results.

• Like 3
Niels

If they are under 40 years old, you should have quite a choice of Nikon dSLRs - the key transition from pre-AI to AI happened in the late 70s. To tell these lenses apart, take a look at this page (I don't always rate Ken Rockwell's stuff, but he is solid on this):

Nikkor Lens Technology

If you do have pre-AI lenses (and they haven't been converted to AI), the Df is the only properly compatible Nikon dSLR option, but it's rather expensive and may now be discontinued.

For AI and later, you might look first at one of the other full-frame (FX) bodies, such as the D750 or a secondhand D800, D810 or D610 (the current D780 and D850 would work well, but are quite a bit more expensive). These bodies will meter with older lenses, and will autofocus if any of them are AF (even the older 'screwdriver' system that requires an AF motor in the camera body)

The crop-sensor (DX) bodies will also work, but reduce the angle of view for each lens. The cheaper ones won't meter with older lenses, and most of these also won't autofocus with 'screwdriver' AF/AF-D lenses.

Edited by Richard Williams

Just a reminder that lower end crop sensor DSLR's (D5x00 and D3x00) and now the D7500, which do not have an AI follower, although they will not meter with any manual lenses including AI, also will not suffer damage from unconverted pre-AI lenses. So if you're willing to forego all metering and automation, those cameras will work with just about anything.

John White, who does AI conversions, has a useful compatibility chart here: Compatibility Table

• Like 3

As you can see from all of the good advice above, it's the only way to be sure....;)

I'm happy you're moving on (up!) from a P&S, but what are your usual targets? Landscape, people/portrait, sports or maybe natural history?

That is your opinion. I don't see mirrorless is the way for me to go.

I don't claim to speak on behalf of others.

But it is worth pointing out that OP is graduating from P&S and haven't expressed any requirement that is served best by a DSLR - so why go in a direction that the players in the camera market are actually moving away from?

• Like 1
Niels

'Cos that's where the best value for money camera bodies are right now.

If you're going full frame mirrorless, you're parting with the best part of £1.5 K body only for the lowest spec model.

Sure, if you don’t plan to build a system anything will do, but you are missing the point of potential use of legacy lenses. Besides, nobody says it has to be fullframe - and even so, a new sony a7II with a kit lens is comfortably below 1000usd where I live.

Niels

Sure, if you don’t plan to build a system anything will do, but you are missing the point of potential use of legacy lenses. Besides, nobody says it has to be fullframe - and even so, a new sony a7II with a kit lens is comfortably below 1000usd where I live.

If the OP were to use the old film lenses then I think it should be full frame.

• Like 1

Actually, they work just fine Manual focus on the D7200 as well, Was working with an old film tele on the D750 yesterday. Very good results - nice and sharp. With Nikon you do need to program the lens in, focus manually and set either Aperture or manual for metering. You may even have an advantage over AF for some things since you can zone focus.
  • Like 2

plan to build a system

a new sony a7II

The OP is interested in bodies between Canon and Nikon .

.. and has an unknown set of Nikon lenses and you want to send him to Sony with a bunch of adapters?

Why are you even here on a Nikon forum?

Nikon F mount will be with us for quite some time with an inexhaustible supply of very high quality bodies and lenses.

You can use most of the earliest Nikkor lenses with Manual Focus and automatic exposure with the lens stopped down on a number of cameras with adapters (notably the Canon EOS cameras, for perhaps the best example).

I usually don't give pointers to the Hypnoken's site - but he does have a reasonably good take on the issue of using earlier Nikkors on newer Nikon cameras. Whatever you do, don't just stick old lenses on new Nikons without making sure you know what you are doing. Despite the much trumpeted unchanging character of the F-mount, you can do real damage....

Nikon Lens Compatibility

and also

Nikon Camera and Lens Compatibility Chart

I was a Nikon shooter for a long time in the 1960s-70s up to 2004, but my Nikon lenses are "non-AI" and that is one of the reasons I went to Canon when I went digital, --- most of those lenses require at least physical modification to work, if at all, on newer Nikons

In general, although I love to play around with old MF lenses, especially LONG ones and oddities, I'm really of the opinion that old lenses are more for FUN than serious WORK.

Whatever camera you get, invest in a good wide to short tele zoom that is completely automatic. You can add more lenses, even old manual ones as you go along. You don't need a vast kit to start out. such a lens and a good body will suffice for a substantial of your shooting.

• Like 1

I have a good collection of F mount lenses both pre and post AI, manual and autofocus and even a couple of G lenses. I have Nikon bodies from D100 and D1X through D4 and newer and film bodies from the F forward. There’s not much I can’t do with it except haul it around like I could in my younger days. My point is that you don’t need to spend a ton of money to get a fairly current and capable rig. As for mirrorless it isn’t the end-all in photography. I have yet to see the point other than a marketing exercise.

Rick H.

• Like 2

My Nikon Z6 with the FTZ adapter mounts all my 40 to 50 year old manual focus lenses (pre-AI and AI). The focus peaking feature in the viewfinder for manual focus lenses works well for my old eyes. The Z mirrorless cameras are superior to my DSLRs for use with old Nikon glass.
  • Like 1

The OP didn't give a price range.

Yes many of the newer lower priced models don't have AI couplers, and if one really

wants to use AI lenses it helps. The D200 is one model that has the AI follower,

and used are very reasonably priced. That and a bunch of AI or AF lenses will get

someone started, until they know more accurately what they want.

As for FX, I believe used D700 are also reasonably priced, though not as low

as the D200.

I don't know the D7x00 as quite as well, but I believe that they also work with

both AI and AF lenses.

-- glen

My Nikon Z6 with the FTZ adapter mounts all my 40 to 50 year old manual focus lenses (pre-AI and AI)

If the OP is moving up from a P&S, I'm not sure going completely ALL manual for their first DSLR is the way to go.

There may be an early AFS in the bag which would probably AF with the Z6/7 and FTZ, but most won't.

The OP didn't give a price range.

Indeed they didn't....;)

Nearly any lens can be adapted to a mirrorless camera, which allows an objective apple-to-apple comparison. This test compares 50 mm lenses on a Sony A7Rii, same scene, same time, at various apertures. The ability to use legacy lenses was one of the prime reasons I went mirrorless. As you can see, it was only a temporary solution. Leica rangefinder lenses suffer because of their short backfocus distance and the thick filter pack of the sensor. SLR lenses do better because of their backfocus distance, but Zeiss Loxia lenses are designed specifically for the Sony, with the filter pack calculated into the lens formula.

1321985952_NikonAIS50mmTest.thumb.jpg.7fef09117614e4a7a42e493b22f36116.jpg 384646082_Loxia50mmTest.thumb.jpg.766ff30d7368fdb8aee8aa03bb31dca8.jpg 749921853_Summicronv250mmTest.thumb.jpg.4fc8d204bf6cbb36f9a8be82d60a0307.jpg

So, I'm in the process of researching to pick up my first SLR/DSLR camera.

The answer really depends on your budget and which Nikon camera model you're looking at.

Using old manual-focus Nikkors with a low-end 'crop' Nikon body would present a bit of a challenge, coming from P&S automation, IMO.

OTOH, on a full-frame D810 or D850, not so much of an issue.