Old folding plate camera - Zeiss Ikon. Identification need.

Hello friends,

I need your help in identifying two folding plate cameras.

They were bought form an old camera collector, but even he didn't know

their exact models.

The first camera is Zeiss Ikon approx 9x12cm format.

Shutter has the following information engraved:

"ERNEMANN DRESDEN CRONOS >A<"

Shutter speeds are "T, B, 10, 50, 25, 10"

Aperture sets are "6,8; 8; 11; 16; 22; 32; 45"

Distance can be set between 1,8m to infinity (1,8; 2,1; 2,6; 3,5; 5;

10; infinity)

Lens has the following information: " "Nostar" 1:6,8 f=13,5cm No. 701148 "

Also there is the number on the back of the camera body: "L 35961"

Any help in the identification of this camera will be appreciated.

Also see my next question.

Best Regards, Erick.<div>009jSz-19966684.jpg.42fdb92a3b89607987fb4df8016857d4.jpg</div>

What you have is an Ernemann Heag, probably the Heag I. Zeiss-Ikon formed by the merger of several companies, including Ernemann, in 1926. Before the merger Ernemann marketed a wide variety of Heags (Mckeowns lists Heags 0 through XVI) including stereo models. After the merger Zeiss-Ikon discontinued the Heags but did sell the left over stock with the Zeiss-Ikon logo on it. I own a few of these. From the photo it appears that your example does not have rack focussing which would make it one of the simpler models and the photo looks like the Heag I in Mckeowns book.

Ron Gratz

It's not in the 1936 Zeiss Catalogue. That means it's probably late 1920's leftover from one of the companies absorbed into Z-I. By the mid 30's most Z-I's used Zeiss made lens or lens made for Zeiss under contract. In earlier cameras, you had a large selection of optics you could specify.

The single screw post on the front standard and what looks to be a primative focusing mechanism indicates one of the "lesser" lines in the Zeiss Ikon family. That doesn't mean it can't take good photos though.

On most Zeiss cameras of that era there is a 5 digit number XXX/XX embossed into the leather somewhere.

Good luck.

tim in san jose

Hello.

Chronos is a old name from Dr. Kr�ger cameras Frankfurt in Germany and Ernemann absorbed this company, and Zeiss Ernemann in 1926 too.

Is an early model with include Ernemann camera and lens name.

Zeiss taked a Zeiss Ikon emblem or logo on the camera only in your example to see it.

peter

The interesting thing about the camera is the Cronos shutter as it is self cocking. I have an uncoated Dagor 8 1/4 -f6.8 mounted on a Perle Rapid for Burke & James also self cocking. The similarity of both is that the speed settings are above the lens i.e. no dial or rim set. Perhaps, the Perle Rapid B&J shutters were from Cronos?