Old filmholder OK with PB-4?

rodeo_joe1

I made a boo-boo, and bought an old 'F' version film-copier attachment to use with my PB-4 bellows.

It was only after I fitted it to the bellows that I realised there was a height discrepancy between the bellows and the film-holder. There's quite a bit of adjustment on the film-holder, but it's pretty much right at the top of its travel - see picture. That's not good from an engineering point of view, and I'm afraid the clamp might bend or crack over time.

My question is: has anyone else been using this combo successfully? And does/did the film-holder suffer any long term damage as a result?

IMG_20181001_124437.thumb.jpg.09289b4f1b3e6a9258d631e6359cd22b.jpg

FWIW, I didn't pay very much for the old film-holder, but it's in quite poor condition.

Yep. As I said, I mistakenly bought the wrong film-holder (no intention of using it for slides, just strips of negatives). It definitely doesn't say PS-4 on the side.

My excuse is that it was attached to a PB-4 before I bought it.

Anyhow, I've cleaned the old thing up and adjusted it, and it does the job. I'll just have to be careful not to overtighten the height adjuster I suppose.

It's a bugger getting the bellows and copier attachment at the correct distance for an exact 1:1 RR, but that issue would be the same with a PS-4 I suspect.

Oh, I've been using a telescoping tube type copier for some time, but it runs out of extension when used with a DX camera. Plus I want to get some good grain-structure images at higher magnifications than 1:1.

Also, the old Nikon holder has a better, smoother film track than the cheap tube copier I've been using.

Incidentally, the tube copier does go back in its box when not in use. It keeps it dust free and preserves the 'like new' appearance. Unfortunately there's no such appearance to preserve with the old bellows copier. It looks used to within an inch of its life, probably producing lecture slides for decades on end.