I have a couple of rolls of Kodak Ultramax 400 that have been a camera case for about 4-5 years. They haven't been exposed to any temperature extremes (except for right now - 111ºF outside) or physical abuse. Is there a chance they might still be usable? I suddenly got this wild hair to put my Olympus OM-1 back to work, if at all possible. I replaced the Wein cell meter battery, and the OM-1 is good to go. I just need to know if the film I have is still good.

Thanks!

Expired color film can be unpredictable--I've used 10 yr. old Velvia that was fine, but just shot some Velvia dated 2012 that had some color shifts (both were kept refrigerated). I use expired print film for casual shooting and test photos, and it is usually fine. Of course, I wouldn't shoot anything important with expired color film (more than a year or two) without testing a roll from that batch first. Edited by m42dave

4 to 5 years isn't all that long, but 110F is getting a little warm.

The real question is processing cost. C41 usually costs enough less than E6 that it is probably worth trying.

When you get to 10 or 20 years, and hopefully kept cold, (below 55F most of the time), you want enough rolls, such that you can test one and make use of the rest if the test roll is good. Balance the processing cost of the test roll against the cost of new rolls.

At a nearby store, UltraMax 400, 135-36 is $5.25/roll. Nearby lab will do develop only (I have a scanner) for $7.50/roll.

That is almost enough for my to buy new film, especially as I will usually buy Portra 160, which I like better.

-- glen

Oh, yes, C41 films have a lot of exposure latitude. It is part of the design, from the days of simple cameras.

So, yes, add a stop or two of exposure shouldn't hurt (even for new film) and can help.

But films like UltraMax are the ones commonly sold in some drug stores in packs of four or five rolls, at an especially good price. (Though usually 24 exposure, and I prefer 36.)

You have to balance the processing costs against new film cost, and decide which way to go.

The decision might be different if you do your own C41 processing.

-- glen

Back when I was scarfing up 5-roll boxes of Fuji Superia 400 at Wal-Mart and probably shooting one or one and a half boxes a week, I found that I usually got better results at EI 200 or better. Specifically, I'd find the colors to be a lot "punchier."

Granted this is a consumer film that Fuji also used in massive quantities in disposables at the time and I'm sure knew it would find its way into everything from "reloadable disposables" to high end SLRs.

About the only color negative films I shoot these days are Ektar 100 and occasionally Portra 400. I find that Ektar likes to be shot pretty darn close to box speed, while one or two stops of overexposure don't really even phase Portra.

When in doubt, though, I figure it's always safe to overexpose color negative film, and consumer films are especially tolerant.