Oklahoma Suggestions

andrew_pastore

You didn't indicate what part of Oklahoma you were traveling to. But the eastern side has some good scenic areas. Lot's of lakes along the Grand River.

Tahlequah,OK is the Capitol of the Indian Nation, so the area may also have some great photo opportunities.

Tulsa, OK is home to many "Cowboy" type museums and loaded with Will Rodgers history. The Mohawk Zoo in Tulsa is also great.

My .02 worth!

Have a great trip!

Look up the Ouachita Trail. It starts in eastern OK and continues almost to Little Rock, Arkansas. There are other trails on the west side of Arkansas as well. A lot of these trails don't get much use. And beware, they can be hot and dry in the summer.

OK is a frustrating place for nature stuff. There's no end of hunting and fishing stuff that goes on, but very little in the way of backpacking, hiking, etc.

The highest point in OK is called the Black Mesa, and there is a hiking trail to it. I haven't been on it, and gather it's a pretty gradual rise, not a mountain. It's on the west side of the state.

Oklahoma has a lot of lakes, and depending on where you are, they may be the best spots to go.

Turner Falls is fairly neat, but not worth going too far out of your way for. It's a neat waterfall, but has been used as a recreation area for ages, so it's not too natural.

All in all, I'd be on the lookout more for old buildings, windmills, cars, and that kind of thing than actual nature watching.

In Tulsa itself, the Oxley Nature Park is probably the best place.

http://www.oxleynaturecenter.org/

If you like birds, I'd drive the few hours to Salt Plains NWR. A major migratory bird stop. In October, the Pelicans will probably be passing through, but contact the Refuge staff for more specifics:

http://www.fws.gov/saltplains/

If Bison and prairie and prairie dogs appeal to you, it is about a three hour drive to Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/REFUGES/wichitamountains/index.html

The other option is to drive over to the Ozarks in NOrtheast OKlahoma and Northwest Arkansas. October temperatures will be excellent, but it will be too early for fall color unless you are incredibly lucky.

If you go to Photomigrations.com and post a message in the "South Central Forum" soon before you arrive, there's a good chance you can get some up to the minute information on conditions, and maybe a buddy to go shooting with. I'll be in Italy and Slovenia most of October, so I won't be around! (whee!).<div>00Hdil-31731284.jpg.6f60d159cac1cd29eca728ef9b6e0eb0.jpg</div>

Talimena Drive. Partly in Arkansas. Not far from Magazine Mountain in Arkansas which has good scenery. It's good in the spring. Can't vouch for the fall color. Maybe someone can. If you are in Northeastern Okla. check also Missouri and Arkansas nearby for national forests. My favorite for wildlife is Wichita Mountains NWR for that state.