OK to store zoom lens standing up?

justinweiss

<p>Is it okay to store heavier zoom lenses like the 24-70mm standing up, with the front element facing down? I am wondering if the weight of the lens body pressing down on the more lightweight barrel that zooms in and out could damage the zooming mechanism.</p>

<p>I have asked this question before. In the past I was told to store lenses mount down because it was the strongest point on the lens. Most lenses sold today are packaged mount up. I don't think it really matters anymore. I still store my lenses mount down out of habit.</p>

<p>How else you store it. Mount down (not stable), chances of tiping over which cause damage is much higher. Side way, take too much space and it may get crush with the extra stuff on top. If the lens body can't handle its own weight (1g), it won't stand a chance out in the field with shock that could go much higher.</p>

<p>Justin -<br>

I don't know the answer. But I feel we should add..... The 14-24 & the 24-70 both come from Nikon with their own pouches. The pouches are made to stand front element down. Not laying down nor mount down. One would have to hope Nikon has done this for a reason. Even laying the lenses down is kind of out of the question as the pouches are not straight, but somewhat U shaped. Not a good way to lay down.<br>

Now my two Sigma lenses both also come with their own cases/pouches. Both have straight lines & are rectangular. In their cases It's easy to lay them down. I especially always do so with the Sigmonster. But that's a 14lbs lens. I feel the foot is a better support in this case.<br>

Hope this helps a little...<br>

Lil :-)</p>

<p>i always park my lenses by standing them on the front element, mount up. no scientific reason -- they just seem less likely to fall over. i place them in the bag the same way, but that's mostly because it's more convenient to get the back lens cap off, so i can mount the lens more quickly.<br>

i suppose there is a "correct" answer, but at the same time there are probably other, more important factors to consider when storing gear.</p>

<p>I always stick them in my bag mount up, as if they were mount down and I went to grab them out of the bag, I'm grabbing them at the most delicate part of the lens. Grabbing them by the mount makes more sense to me.</p>

<p>I give no mind to how I store my lenses (some on side, some on one end, some on other end). Many are 20 plus year old Nikkors - never had any problems with them related to the position in which they've been stored. The one exception might be if you've got a giant Sigmonster, which I don't - my biggest is only 400mm. I feel more important than position are: store them in a dry place to prevent mold, and store them with the aperture set to the highest number (e.g. f/22) to take the pressure off of the aperture spring. </p>

<p>Depends on the lens. I usually store them either heaviest end down or widest diameter end down. So the 50/2 AI, 50/1.8D AF, 55/3.5 Micro-Nikkor, for example, are stored lens mount end down. The 180/2.8 Nikkor, 70-210 Vivitar Series 1, are stored front element down for better stability.</p>

<p>In the bags, I usually put lenses with the mount end up. That way I can remove the rear cap with one hand, drop it into the front pouch, and swap lenses more efficiently.</p>

<p>Surely not an issue - most lenses only weight a couple of kg maximum. And they have to be designed to bear their own weight, as torque, with the lens mount as the fulcrum.<br>

The only time I would even start to get worried about this issue would be if I had to stand a lens on a front glass element, which most lens designs do not allow anyway due to either recessed front element or permanent lens hood/petals on those super-wide lenses with a big bit of bulbous front glass.<br>

I might look closer at this if I ever had one of those $50000 super enormous zooms that weighted 20kg+, but short of that point its not an issue that's going to worry me in the slightest.</p>