OK P/N, you won this round.

Sanford

If you want to be obstinate about it(since I was before I paid, have a blanket policy about websites using MY CPU to execute scripts so that I can contribute knowledge and information, and refused to support with ads what at the time was a barely functioning website) you can disable Javascript and run ad block to your heart's content.

I know Glenn and I had a number of rather heated arguments about this, so if this post disappears you'll know why...

Sanford - looks like your subscription expired on 8/28 and your blocking ads so you would get a notice like that - which you can close out if you so choose. We don't require you to whitelist us but we do ask. More and more publishers are doing this to users that block ads as practice. Thousands of major sites are taking silent anti-ad-blocking measures and 6 Steps Publishers Can Take to Fight Ad Blockers are just a couple of articles that show you we're not alone in this. Our end goal would be to evolve into a pure subscription play so none of us have to deal with ads, but for now they are necessary to fund the site.

Our end goal would be to evolve into a pure subscription play

Glenn,

Sorry to be so blunt...I've seen you say a lot of stupid things on here in defense of this site, but that would have to take the cake. I'd guess the idea is probably not coming from you, but then you are the face of this site. If it is from you, I'd advise you to rethink it. If not from you, I'd like to catch the ear of the person who thought it up.

I honestly think you all must be TRYING to killing this site. Going to a pure subscription model would most certainly do that. I know the day that comes will be the end of my participation. This site has tried my patience enough, and I've stuck around, but that WOULD be the end of it.

There will always be free members on photo.net that can use all aspects of the site.... all I was saying is the site will need to evolve away from ad supported model (people are ad blocking at a high rate) as a publisher in the photography community space (no one likes to see ads next to their photography) to survive and thrive long term we'll need to provide services people are willing to pay for and can use. Things like bringing more Online Photography Classes, Private Client Galleries, Discounts from partners like Agree.com, Photologo.co and more coming. Free users will always have a home here - I don't like using the grey ad blocker thing but it can be closed out, we have to ask otherwise people won't whitelist us.
  • Like 1

So, let me get this straight...

At first you said

Our end goal would be to evolve into a pure subscription play so none of us have to deal with ads

That doesn't leave a lot of room for interpretation and seems pretty plain to me that when you wrote it, you meant that all members would need to "pay to play." Perhaps I'm misinterpreting it, but I don't see how I could be.

Since you're now saying that's NOT the case, all I can guess is that you realized in fact how terrible of an idea it was. Now that the idea has been floated, though, I'm still afraid it will happen...although I certainly hope that it won't.

At no point did I say that free members would no longer have a home here. All that was intended by the phrase "pure play" was in the context of our current reliance on advertising to fund the site and given the upward trend of ad blocking, focus on reducing (ideally eliminating) advertising on the site by building something people would be willing to pay for via a subscription. All sites that were built primarily on ad supported model are dealing with this issue....its by no means unique to us. But again, free members will always be welcome here.

Glen, to get back on subject, help me out with a few things. My account says: "Premium Account", "Expires 09/05/2019" but there is "Restore Your Subscription" box where it should read "Extend Your Subscription". Clicking on that box takes me to the sign-up page wanting all the info again including credit card #! I also want to opt out of automatic renewal and that box is gone.

Nope, don't see that. Says "restore your subscription" in an orange box. What I really need to do is delete "auto renew" get my credit card # out of p/n files. Please see if someone can restore my preferences. I'm no computer geek but it shouldn't be this difficult.

Nope, don't see that. Says "restore your subscription" in an orange box. What I really need to do is delete "auto renew" get my credit card # out of p/n files. Please see if someone can restore my preferences. I'm no computer geek but it shouldn't be this difficult.

OK I will dive into this with Tech Support as to why you don't see what I see. Regarding storing CC information....we don't store any credit card information whatsoever - we store encrypted tokens...which means all we have on file is something only Stripe can decode using the decryption technology. Security at Stripe "Stripe has been audited by a PCI-certified auditor and is certified to PCI Service Provider Level 1. This is the most stringent level of certification available in the payments industry. To accomplish this, we make use of best-in-class security tools and practices to maintain a high level of security at Stripe." I hope that helps at least answer that question. More on why you don't see "cancel" ASAP.

Tokenization explained:

Edited by G-P

Guys! If you see the orange button that means your account is set to expire, there's no more charging and we don't store and credit card info ourselves.

At anytime you can press the orange button to PAY US AGAIN using the same or new credit card for a continued subscription, which would extend your premium subscription out further. but you don't have to.

The clock is ticking on your premium accounts if you see the orange button. NO Charge happen again, repeat, no charges

Let us know if there's some other way to present that case, easier to read, if confusing.