for a long weekend. My wife, much to my dismay, agreed to meet them

in Gatlinburg, TN. I know that it's right near Dollywood and Smoky

MT. NP. I can't do much in the NP that I'd like because I'll be with

the inlaws and my 2 1/2 year old daughter. No hiking or anything

like that. Windshield tourism only :( . We're also planning on

visiting the Knoxville Zoo for a day. The trip is planned for July 8-

11. I can't switch the location of the trip (believe me I've

tried). Any suggestions on photo ops, or other things to do that

aren't, well, Dollywood would be appreciated.

I can't avoid it. It's the reason the inlaws want to go to Tennesee. They're like some sort of Dollywood groupies. They went there on their honeymoon. They're the NASCAR, Dollywood, Southern types. We're more the Baseball, Hockey, Disney, Northern types. We're definitely spending one day at Dollywood.

You think hockey and "Disney" are more intellectually upscale than Dollywood and NASCAR? You have no business being a snob to your inlaws.

That having been said, one of my photo teachers in college had images in the collections of MoMA, the Art Institute of Chicago, etc. He went to the Wisconsin Dells year after year and took some great ironic images. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. Make the most of Dollywood; your daughter will probably love it.

Did I say anything negative about NASCAR or make any comments that Disney was more "intellectual" than Dollywood? Sounds like you are a little sensative. I'm sure my inlaws would enjoy a hockey game about as much as an rectal exam. Should I take that to mean that they think NASCAR is intellectually superior to Hockey?

I've been to Dollywood with my kids before. I found it a fun challenge to try take photos of the employees dressed in costume, without making the photo look like it was taken at an amusement park. It isn't that bad of a place, once you get past the name.

While in the area, try the "Roaring Fork Motor Trail". It's part of the national park, easily accesed from Gatlinburg. The road brings you very close to old cabins, classic water/rock scenes, etc The "motor trail" is a one way paved road. If you have the time, drive to Cades Cove on the west end of the park, again, a one way paved road. Great place for deer. If you're lucky, bear, turkey, coyote. Its also a historic area: many cabins, churches, etc from the 1800s. Your family will love teh area, and you get to take photos.

You can still drive the scenic drives in the park. They require no hiking and offer great views of cabins and other buildings built by the people who lived in the park before it was created. There are many photo ops along either of the two drives. Just check with the visitor?s center, they will have all the info on these drives.

- Randy

Well I don't like baseball, hockey, Disney, NASCAR, or Dollywood, and the Nashville Zoo doesn't sound like my cup of tea either. If you can manage a compromise regarding the National Park, I'd suggest the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail, which can be accessed from downtown Gatlinburg (which is itself one of the ghastliest places in the southern Appalachians). Anyhow, the Roaring Fork thing is a narrow, paved, one-way road that goes a few miles near streams, some old-growth hemlock, an old cemetery, and (if I remember correctly - it's been about 15 years) some old buildings. There are trails available and opportunities to get out and amble around, but no one will have to get out of the car if they don't want to, and you'll still see some nice stuff.

You can probably find a better write-up, but <a href="http://sherpaguides.com/north_carolina/mountains/smoky_mountains/roaring_fork_motor_nat_trail.html">here's</a> one.

You can also do a drive up part of the Blue Ridge Parkway, if you have the time. It starts in Cherokee (actually just west of Cherokee) on the other side of the park from Gatlinburg. There's a 45 mph speed limit, so it's just a slow, scenic drive, with very little traffic, so you can stop if you see something.

Might have to do it during the 2 yr-old's naptime, though!

Michael,

There is an excellent car trail (Roaring Rock Motor Nature Trail) that arcs through a scenic bit of the NP. It starts right in downtown Gatlinburg -- get instructions from the NPS gift shop that you pass on your way into the area. This is perfect in length for the wee ones. Be ready to take a snap of the black bear that lives there.

You can also drive out to Cades Cove. The road to get there is quite scenic as is Cades Cove itself. If you can find a spot to park along the road, there are really a lot of scenic spots to photograph small water falls and so forth. Of course, in mid july the stream may be filled up with swimmers. Take a picnic lunch with you to Cades Cove. It will be wall to wall with autos, but if you park and walk a little, you should find some peace and quiet. I suppose the main problem is that you will be sharing everything with a million other folks, many of them with small children just like you at that time of year.

Remember that Gatlinburg is on the West side of the mountains, so "sunset" is going to be earlier (due to the high mountains) than you might otherwise expect. Tennessee is also noted for its salamanders so you might think about taking your macro lenses.

If it was me, I would take along a point and shoot and concentrate on taking pics of my family. Come back in mid-October (stay in Townsend, TN) to overdose on the nature pics without all the crowds.

Mike S

I was at the Knoxville Zoo in August, 2003, on our way to the Gulf and my family had a great time. Be sure to bring a rubber lens hood to press against the plexiglas or a polarizer to eliminate glare. (Meerkats, lions, and some gorillas are viewed behind plexiglas). I brought my Canon A70, but the telephoto end (approx. 105mm equiv. for 135 film) was still too short for some shots.

Hi Michael.

I had to pass through the town once myself on the way to the park. Awful trafic! Personally I really can't think of anything I'd want to photograph in the area save the park. As others have noted it is closeby and there are lots of driveable waterfalls and scenic views that even a beer-belly can take advantage of. July might be a bit late for the Rhododendrons, but I suspect flowers maybe running a little late this year so who knows. They are something to see.

go south on route 411 to the madisonville exit turn east and head to the bald river

great waterfalls and rapids lots of swimming and canoeing availible, also a noce trout stream on saturdays. In the same area a couple of nice concrete arch dams TVA property with some awesome outlets

Look close at the locals kind of a deliverence bunch that will give some good rustic looks

Nice cave in sweetwater and other sites

PS a lot less traffic down this way and a back entrance to cades cove but a can't remember the route haven't been ther since 1978

Dollywood and Zoo and ... is packing too much into 4 days!

If you like back light on moving water, Roaring Fork Motor Nature trail between 2 and 5 PM. Plenty of pull offs to near mills and other old structures. Hope they let you get out for a stretch. Note: there are limited bathroom facilities, and they are at trail heads prior to the one way section. One of my favorite easy to get to places in the park.

Be aware Cades Cove on Saturday morning is closed to motor traffic for the bicycle crowd. Getting there via Little River Road is time consuming. If you are in Pigeon Forge, better to take 321 through Wear Valley toward Townsend and enter the park via TN 73.

Hi Michael, You have my sympathies. I used to live about 5 miles from Dollywood - before it was ever there. There's some pretty country out there. The Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail's a good suggestion. Here's an old trick I used to use - get up at 4:00 a.m. to go take pictures. Nobody else will want to go at that hour. Drive into G-burg and do the RFMN trail - just go up Airport Rd. in G-burg and keep going. Or just drive up and into the park towards Chimney Tops and Clingman's Dome. You'll get back in time to take the gang to Dollywood and probably end up with some nice shots. You'll be a bit late for the rhodo in July but you almost can't go wrong in the National Park - as long as you avoid the traffic jams by going early. I've heard that thorazine can take the edge off a bad Dolly-Trip. ;-)

The nicest thing about Gatlinburg is that it is a reasonably short drive (less than 90 miles) to Asheville, NC. Great little town about 180 degrees different from the redneck Tennessee towns bordering GSNP. Please - I mean no offense to the Tennessee folks out there, but I am a city boy and I waw more pickups with shotguns in the racks and confederate flags in 2 hours on the main drag in Gatlinburg than I had seen before in my entire life.

If you do go to Asheville, you MUST see the Vanderbilt Mansion there called the Biltmore. You can spend an entire day wandering the grounds, touring the house and photographing the gardens.

And as an extra bonus, the ride from Gatlinburg to Ashville takes you right through (actually over) GSNP with some fantastic views.

look here:

http://www.biltmore.com/

Things are what you make of them. Give dollywood a chance but don't have the attitude that you've got. If you go into it thinking that there won't be anything to photograph then you probably won't find anything. Keep a clear mind and an open eye, and if you REALLY can't find anything to shoot then why not put the camera down for a day or two and *shock* actually enjoy yourself with your family.

Yes, the area is touristy, but your daughter should enjoy Dollywood, they have some rides for the small ones. I took lots of pictures there of my grandchildren, ages 3 and 5, having a great time. Biltmore is a good suggestion for the adults, not sure the little one would be content. The weather is good up here and beautiful scenery is everywhere. Lots of old barns and the Parkway of course. Close to Asheville is Chimney Rock and Lake Lure. (More tourist stuff, but a nice boat ride/tour)

Hope y'all have a good time, just relax and enjoy!

(I am from the area, but nary a Confederate flag or 'baccy chaw in sight, thanks!)

I'm as Southern as grits and gravy, seven generations worth (Son of the American Revolution) two university degrees, no Rebel flag stickers, loved laughing at those "Floridians" who moved down South, told us how dumb we are, then claimed they couldn't understand their 2000 presidential ballots

That said, I sympathize with you, Michael, Gatlinburg is nothing more than a tourist trap, and anywhere else requires navigating truly hellish traffic. You, or someone, picked arguably the worst time of year. Gatlinburg is in a sort of a bowl, and the temps will fry an egg

I'm going with Josh on this one, forget decent photo ops, except the joy on your daughter's face, and smile, smile, smile. Your wife will think you're a hero