Off Topic Forum

Laura Weishaupt

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>An attempt to prevent arguing parties from continuing closed threads by simply opening new ones with the same subject?</p>

<p>I would be sad to see the off-topic forum closed completely, I value reading the opinions posted there.</p>

<p>Laura, it'll probably be open for business again, and if not, we can always use our own galleries to post anything off-topic like these two threads when things were fun and inspiring, and still can be. <br>

<a href="/photo/2929551">http://www.photo.net/photo/2929551</a><br>

<a href="/photo/2932382">http://www.photo.net/photo/2932382</a></p>

<p>One would hope that a decision of this type would be accompanied by some attempt at ownership from those making the decision. "The off topic forum is disabled until further notice" being posted in big red letters doesn't leave the impression that it is the result of a structural issue.</p>

<p>Personally I've walked away from the Off Topic forum. The unrelenting attack-based perspective of some participants meant that it's not an enjoyable environment, and I originally came to this site to improve my photography. I don't miss the process - didn't even know it was "on-hold" until Laura posted this thread.</p>

<p>Too bad, because there's smart people on this forum who have some good ideas about non-photographic issues. Personally I'd like to see an off-topic political forum that I could simply turn off and ignore, and any thread that drifted that way could be transferred there. The usual suspects could argue as loud as they wish.</p>

<p>The Off-Topic forum was created by Josh Root with the intention that it become a place where we can get better acquainted to extend our community interaction beyond photography through our hobbies, interests, activities, or help one-another if we have unusual problems.</p>

<p>Our community is diverse, and we have a surprising number of experts among us from a broad spectrum of professional disciplines who are always willing to lend a hand, to help solve problems, or simply share their expertise and experiences. Want to know how to start a Piper Cherokee? How about making a 100 gallon salt water aquarium? Maybe you've never deep-fried a whole turkey and want to try, or you heard a great song today that reminded you of old friends that you'd like to share. That's what we're here for, and you'd be surprised by how much we can share, how interesting a discussion can become, and how helpful it can be even to sideline observers.</p>

<p>Of course it's inevitable that something potentially contentious will tempt us to discuss it in the forum, and there's nothing wrong with that, but realize that we have an international community from all ages, gender, and life experiences, that we will have differences in our values and core beliefs, and these individual differences must be respected even if we disagree. Humor, sarcasm, wit, are all okay, but it's often not successfully communicated through writing and might come across as insensitive sharp-tongued remarks that won't sit well with the community - something we should also be mindful of.</p>

<p>The Off-Topic forum is arguably the only place where we can nurture our sense of community and develop mutual respect with a site-wide influence because there is no other place on photo.net where we can learn about (and from) one another as people, so there is also responsibility attached to the manner in which we participate.</p>

<p>I value my interaction with fellow members and from it I've developed a deep appreciation for the high level of collective intellect. This is the reason I've stuck around and have hopefully reciprocated in what I've gotten from it. I'm also not prepared to abandon it just yet in the hopes that smarter choices will prevail from everyone so that we can pick up where we left off for the betterment of the community. The forum is where I've chosen to anchor myself so what I've said is to some degree self-serving, but we will have collectively lost a piece of PN if the forum goes away or returns with stringent rules and threats of unpleasant consequences. None of us want that, so let's give it another try toward the building of a stronger community.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The Off-Topic forum was created by Josh Root with the intention that it become a place where we can get better acquainted to extend our community interaction beyond photography through our hobbies, interests, activities, or help one-another if we have unusual problems.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Josh rode into the sunset, and a new sheriff is in town with "a full editorial calendar in place with new and exciting content for the community to enjoy". Are we enjoying yet?<br>

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Photo-net-Newsletter-.html?soid=1112251553979&aid=M8MgE3xYrIk</p>

<p>Robert, it is a business reality that changes must be made in order for change to take place, and these changes can often be uncomfortable, but running a business a serious stuff and along with it comes accountability which not many of us have the stomach for. </p>

<p>As a participating member, I prefer to adapt to these changes and work within its framework to do my part; why else would I choose to stick around? It's a lot to expect any single individual to make everything right for us, and we often underestimate the power of our own influence on the collective as members of a community-driven site. </p>

<p>The creation of the Off-Topic forum can be seen either as the worst idea ever transpired on p.net, or potentially the best thing that ever happened. Which is it? Josh created it, Cara inherited it, but neither will have the power to magically transform it because it's only through our collective decision in how we choose to use it that will make it one or the other. </p>

<p>Could someone here point to an OT thread that was the most influential in getting the OT shutdown? I couldn't find anything that warranted it. The thread that was accused of mentioning racism as the cause for that one particular thread being shutdown didn't seem all that serious. Long winded? Yes. But abusive? I didn't feel offended or get upset by anything.</p>

<p>Much ado about nothing. More drama than resolution.</p>

<p>However, I'ld have to say you guys need to come up with more interesting OFF TOPICS. I was getting bored more than offended. Michael's Elephant Artist find was the exception. Hey! I know! How about another thread on ID theft?! Snooooozzzz!</p>

<p>Hey Michael, who were all those people in those two 2004 "Historical Photo" discussion threads you linked? Never see them before? How did you know them? I see they aren't here any longer.</p>

<p>This place is looking more "clickish" by the year. 9 years as a subscriber here and I still feel like the red headed stepchild.</p>

<p>You might be right, Michael, thanks. After all, I didn't learn a new word then.<br>

Tim, is right then, Photonet is made by cliquish photographers. Most of us participate in several cliques in the same time. The Off Topic clique just happens to be the most in view, and maybe the most active. The No Words clique is just more kind of quiet, although photos sometimes speak with capital letters !<br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p>Robert, it is a business reality that changes must be made in order for change to take place, and these changes can often be uncomfortable, but running a business a serious stuff and along with it comes accountability which not many of us have the stomach for.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Agreed. Editors of this site, new or otherwise, can and should make changes for whatever reasons they see fit. They should expect that the changes won't please everyone.</p>

<p>However, by "disabling" the Off Topic forum without an announcement or an explanation is unprofessional, or community friendly. It is worse than the forum disappearing without an announcement or an explanation.</p>

<p>Perhaps the Off Topic forum will be replaced by an Editorial Announcements forum.</p>