Off The Shelf Computer For Image Editing, Studio

I am ready to upgrade my PCs to something a bit faster and more

efficient. I use them exclusively for my photography business, and my

image editing needs are quite demanding. I've simply been using off

the shelf HPs with no upgrades and no major issues for the past few years.

But now - there are a ton of options out there. My main programs in

use will be Photoshop CS2, Nikon Capture and various business support

programs. I'm a bit lost. I need help on identifying off the shelf

computers that will serve my needs. I'm ok with upgrading RAM and

video cards if needed, but not much more. I'd rather be shooting than

be a geek :-).

1. Are there any particular types of processors to stay away from?

I'm going for a dual core, but I've heard of issues with some AMD

processors and problems saving JPG files. Any advice?

2. At least 2 gigs of RAM

3. Open bay for a scratch disk. I prefer to have external drives for

backup storage and main image storage for portability purposes, and I

already have them.

4. Overall system compatibility.

There is a HP model at my local Sam's Club with a Pentium 940 dual

core processor, Windows Media Center OS, 1.5 gigs of RAM, 250GB hard

drive, and a good quality 19" flat panel (VS19VB) monitor for

$1,429.00. I'll eventually upgrade to a Dell SS or Apple Cinema

monitor later. Can you think of anything I should be looking for

before I purchase this computer?

Dell is also an option, but they seem pricey for what you get. We've

also had extremely reliable service with our eMachines home copmputers

and laptop, which are in constant service.

I am not willing to switch from PC to Mac. Been there, I prefer PC.

I'll be buying two computers, possibly three as I am planning on

hiring an office manager/assistant and keeping one computer for open

access for a possible third part time employee. I'd prefer them to be

the same to keep things simple.

I can't help you too much, as I'm not in the US, so I've no idea what is generally available off the shelf there.

But with the monitor, ensure that it's an 8 bit screen (16.7+ million colors) if you need it for image editing. AFAIK, a lot of LCDs that come with PCs are only 6 bit (16.2 million), which will handicap you for image editing.

Thanks, Craig. I think we're ok on the monitor on the HP package i mentioned. I also tested the monitor at the store to see if it was useful. Brought in a CD of a few high resolution images. It's adequate, but not stellar. But for the cost, it will do until I decide which monitor to upgrade to.

Some of the monitors truly sucked though.

Chris: I saw the HP system you are referring to at Sam's. It looks impressive. One item of note, I'd bet anything that the 1.5 Gb of memory is 3 512 chips which fill the three available slots. So to bump memory, that means buying a 1 Gb chip and disposing of a 512 one just to gain each additional 512 of memory.

BTW, is this the Sam's in Cassleberry where Curtis runs the photo lab?

Chris, I bought an HP from Sams about 3 years ago. 2.8 GHZ, 512mb ram, 160GB hard drive, pentium 4 with 17" flatpanel for $1299. I have since upgraded to 2 gig ram, added a 120GB hard drive, and a 19" flatpanel in dual monitor configuration.

I'm ready to upgrade again. Check the maximum amount of ram the new system will take. I wouldn't get anything that can't hold 4mb+. The HP loaded up will work fine, and the dual core is almost a must.

I've toyed with the idea of rebuilding my system, but I've really had my eye on the Mac G5 quadcore. I'm going to sit tight for another year, and then probably make the swith to Mac, with a 30" Monitor.

I'm not advocating Mac vs. PC, I'm just really taking a liking to the Mac's. I'm tired of all the windows problems.

Mike

One thing many people overlook is service after the sale. If you'd rather not drop your machine off at some depot and wait two weeks to get it fixed, I'd suggest the Dell or possibly Gateway with their next business day at home warranty. I'm not sure what you're talking about price, you can configure a machine online and there are several options that are comparible to retail shops. I worked for Dell in Engineering for close to 7 years so can definitely tout them over many competitors.

I'm about to purchaes this HP 7360 from COMPUSA.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=335977&pfp=BROWSE

It's got a good processor and 2mb of RAM right out of the box and a 300GB hard drive. This PC had Hp's new TV software which I will never use but it's still a good price for everything you get. You could probably add a decent monitor and still be around $1500 or so. And, did I mention it's got 2mb RAM?

You can also get the 7350 series for about $100 less. The only differnce is a slightly smaller 250GB hard drive. I might actually go with this one since I will have external hard drive back ups.

I have priced out a similiar Dell and the HP is just cheaper with better options.

<I>but I've heard of issues with some AMD processors and problems saving JPG files. Any advice? </i><P>You should never post while drunk :-) Honestly, I've been using AMD for desktop and servers for 4years, and have yet to encounter an issue like this. It's usually chipsets that have quirks like this, and they are independant of Intel/AMD battles.

<P><I>

Dell is also an option, but they seem pricey for what you get. We've also had extremely reliable service with our eMachines home copmputers and laptop, which are in constant service.</i><P>I still say Dell builds the best PC workstation on the market in the form of their Precision class. However, E-machine has seriously improved their reliability, and I'm referring them left and right. Matter of fact, I prefer E-machine/Gateway over HP. If there's a quality difference between Packard Bell and an HP Pavillion, I've yet to see it.<P><i>

I am not willing to switch from PC to Mac. Been there, I prefer PC.</i><P>Uh, ditto. Basically the only Mac to consider right now for photo editing is the G5, which is pretty pricey compared to that dual core P4.